AnsweredAssumed Answered

Data loss on import of CJK Ideographs

Question asked by LeeCollins on Oct 7, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 15, 2017 by TSGal

Summary

Data loss on import of CJK Ideographs

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.9.5

Description of the issue

While importing text data from a TAB format text file, I found that the characters in the text file were incorrectly matched with existing data. This caused records to be incorrectly merged, hence the loss of data. The data I was attempting to import contained characters in the Unicode COMPATIBILITY IDEOGRAPH range. It appears that FMP decided to equate these with the variants in the main ideographic range. This might be a reasonable thing to do for certain kinds of search, but should not be the default behavior. I tried setting the field storage to Unicode, but that still didn't fix the problem.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a database with one record containing the character 福 and another Variant 1. Then import a record from a TAB file containing the character U+FA1B in the corresponding field and the string "Variant 2", matching on the field that contains the ideographs.

Note, just copying the character U+FA1B into this report causes it to be converted to  福, so I'm using the Unicode value to represent the character

Expected result

After import, the database should contain 2 records
福 Variant 1
U+FA1B Variant 2

Actual result

福 Variant 2

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Workaround

Haven't found any

Outcomes