Data Upload from Excel

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Advanced, version 11.0v3

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I've had to upload several thousand records, matching some and adding others.  Most upload OK, but I had some 500 that had 'errors' and did not get uploaded.  But when I repeat the upload, I'll have several (10 or so) that will upload and the rest contain 'errors'.  When I repeat the upload, I get a few more each time.  I recently got a new Dell Computer (Optiplex 780) with Windows 7.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Generate list of records to be uploaded in Excel
      Import Records
      select file (I've done it with both Office 2007 and Office 2003)
      Match fields as needed

Expected result

All records uploaded.

Actual result

Several records do not upload.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Import Summary:
      Total records added/updated:  577
      Total records skipped due to errors:  529
      Total fields skipped due to errors:  0
      Table created:

Configuration information

No

Workaround

Screenshot is in Microsoft word format

FMP_RecordUpload_Problem.png

• 1. Re: Data Upload from Excel
          philmodjunk

Do you perhaps have some field validation rules set on your fields such as a unique values setting?

A unique values setting could keep additional records with the same value from importing and this would match what you report here.

• 2. Re: Data Upload from Excel
            jveilleux

The only field validations are on primary keys that have nothing to do with the data fields.  These are generated automatically.

I unistalled version 11 and installed version 10.  Still the same results.  By doing imports over and over, I generally pick up a few records with each import.  Had there been a field validation stopping the process, then there should not have been any records imported after the first import.

• 3. Re: Data Upload from Excel
              jveilleux

I just solved the mystery and thanks from PhilModJunk who gave me the clue.  I had a primary key that somewhere I'd modified and the sequence didn't match the total number of records.  When I corrected that error, all imports were uploaded without error.