Data Viewer misrepresents trailing returns

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11, 12, 13

Operating system version

Mac OSX 10.9 (for testing) not tested on Windows

Description of the issue

As per screen shots, Data Viewer shows one carriage return from this calculation (in second image) and there are two.  We use Data Viewer to determine if the calculations we want to insert into our solutions will produce accurate results.  We DEPEND upon Data Viewer giving correct results.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Any calculation can be used but just type abc then carriage return into a field then drag-select from immediately after the last character downwards until the highlight ends.  That shows how many carriage returns exist.  In this example there would be one return but Data Viewer shows NONE in the Edit Expression Result.  It always drops one return.

Expected result

It should match the same results we would get when drag-selecting from all other venues.

Actual result

Misrepresents trailing returns

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Configuration information

none

Workaround

It is normal to drag-select to see how many returns are at the end of ALL documents and data and that is what we do with Data Viewer as well.  Sure we can Select All and copy to text editor but I believe it is normal to expect drag-select to show trailing returns and work consistently like other venues in this regard.

This inconsistency is dangerous and can cause mistakes in calculation decisions and we simply must be able to trust the values being displayed in Data Viewer.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

EDITED:  Changed number of returns displayed in the example, decreasing first example by one.

DV_Bug.png

• 1. Re: Data Viewer misrepresents trailing returns
          TSGal

LaRetta:

Thank you for your post.

This is a graphic display difference between the Data Viewer and the contents within a field.  The Data Viewer Result will only highlight the necessary characters.  For example, if you used instead:

List ( "abc" ; "def" )

In the Data Viewer calculation under Mac OS X, only the first line is highlighted across the entire width of the Result box, and "def" is highlighted in the second row.  If this was a Calculation field, or a field replaced by the contents of the calculation, when you highlight the contents of the entire field, both lines would be highlighted across the entire width of the field.  Under Windows, only "abc" and "def" are highlighted in the Data Viewer Result.

With your example under Mac OS X, the return is highlighted across the width of the Result, but since there is nothing to display on the third line, nothing is highlighted on the third line.  Under Windows, only "abc" is highlighted.

Regardless, I have forwarded this information to our Development and Testing departments as an inconsistency in display.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Data Viewer misrepresents trailing returns
            DavidJondreau

I can select whole lines in the Data Viewer using my mouse and that's what LaRetta's screenshot is showing. Regardless, the Data Viewer in this case is correct, it's the FM field display that doesn't match what the FM calc engine is returning.

Also, List() with a trailing pilcrow is returning an odd result.**

ValueCount ( List ( "abc" ; "¶" ) = 2. A display of that field returns 3 lines, per LaRetta's screenshot.

Is 2 or 3 the 'correct' result? I don't know, but there is inconsistency between the display and the evaluation.

**Oops. List isn't the issue at all. It's trailing returns in general..."abc¶" alone returns two lines in field display but a value count of 1.

• 3. Re: Data Viewer misrepresents trailing returns
              TSGal

David Jondreau:

Thank you for your post.

"2" is the correct result.  "abc" is the first value, and "¶" is the second value.  The pilcrow (¶) character puts the cursor onto the third line.  In your second example ("abc¶"), the value is 1, and the pilcrow puts the cursor onto the second line.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Data Viewer misrepresents trailing returns
                LaRetta_1

Hi TSGal,

Thank you for following up for us.  Part of my issue might also be that I recently switched from Windows to Mac.  We have an interesting conversation about it here http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/90657-data-viewer-misrepresents-trailing-returns/ if anyone else is interested.

The inconsistency appears to exist across different programs within same OS as well as cross-platform.  It would sure help if Data Viewer showed could show (if toggled) hidden characters. I shall put in that suggestion.  In meantime, at least folks will know about it.  

Thanks again!  :-)

• 5. Re: Data Viewer misrepresents trailing returns
                  philmodjunk

An option to see invisible characters is truly an excellent Idea!

• 6. Re: Data Viewer misrepresents trailing returns
                    indiguy

Hi  LaRetta

i am new to filemaker..i would like to ask you one question..its not related with this topic..but its very basic related to currency, where inspector wont work..need to put some calculation..will you help me..?..should i write here or post somewhere else..?..pls guide..

thanx a lot..

rgds