database crashes when attempting to export found set

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

10.0v3

Operating system version

same behavior in Win XP and Win 7

Description of the issue

I have a found set of fewer than 100 records.  I initiate Export.   At first dialog I enter file name and select html format.  Before even getting a chance to identify fields to include, database crashes and offers to send a report to Microsoft.  I can't identify pattern of why some found sets export and others do not.  It is repeatable, however.  At present, I've tried one several times on different machines/installations, and can't do it.

Steps to reproduce the problem

specific found set in my data will reproduce the problem.

Expected result

crash FM

Workaround

none at moment

export-problem.jpg

• 1. Re: database crashes when attempting to export found set
          philmodjunk

Sounds like there is a problem with your file.

Make a recovered copy of your file and see if it behaves the same way.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

• 2. Re: database crashes when attempting to export found set
            AndrewEskind

Thanks, Phil,

The recovered copy does indeed now allow the export I couldn't do before.

The lengthy recover.log doesn't jump out with anything alarming so far as I can make sense of it.

2011-04-07 16:04:37.078 -0400    phot-index.fp7    0        Adjusted item count of library BIOS_COLLECTION_CODES (135) by -42

2011-04-07 16:05:01.109 -0400    phot-index.fp7    0        Adjusted item count of library EXHIB_MAKER (149) by -100
            2011-04-07 16:05:01.156 -0400    phot-index.fp7    0        Adjusted item count of library EXHIB_MAKER (149) by -111

2011-04-07 16:11:13.218 -0400    phot-index.fp7    0    Structure: scanned; 1 item(s) modified

What do I need to do before resuming normal db editing?  I'd be glad to submit the recover.log if you think there's more to be gleaned than the above.

• 3. Re: database crashes when attempting to export found set
              philmodjunk

It could just be that you had a bad index or two.

You might try this approach and see if it fixes the problem:

If you have FileMaker 11, you can use Advanced Recovery options to rebuild your file's indexes:

1. With the file closed, select Recover from the File Menu.
              2. Select "Use advanced Options"
              3. Select only: "Copy File Blocks as-is" and "Rebuild Field Indexes Now".

If the re-indexed file works, you can safely use it in place of your original file. If it does not, then you should find a backup copy of your file that does not have this problem, save a clone of it and import the data from your recovered copy into the clone. Use this file to replace the damaged one.