Summary

Database Dates set to 1970s on iPod

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

mac OSX 10.58

Description of the issue

any databases I copy over to iPod via drag to iTunes/iPod Apps window assume a modification date in 1970's....!!

Steps to reproduce the problem

drag an FMP database to iTunes' iPod Apps window (bottom dbox while Filemaker Go selected.

Expected result

no date change

Actual result

date change

FMGoDateIssue.jpg

• 1. Re: Database Dates set to 1970s on iPod
          TSGal

xandra:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I am unable to replicate the problem on my iPod touch.

If I copy any file over from the Mac to the iPod touch, the date on the iPod touch matches the date on the Mac.

The dates listed on the right side refer to the date and time the file was last modified and closed.  It appears your System Settings may be changing to a different date and time.  Go into Settings and tap "Date & Time", and verify the date is this year.  If I change the date to 1/1/1970 and open the file and close it, the display for that file now shows 1/1/1970.

Any other instructions you can give me to replicate the problem would be helpful.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Database Dates set to 1970s on iPod
            alc

Gal:

Thanx SO MUCH for giving this a try. I really appreciate the effort.

To follow up:

"The  dates listed on the right side refer to the date and time the file was  last modified and closed."

OF Course, that's why I noticed something was wrong

"It appears your System Settings may be  changing to a different date and time.  Go into Settings and tap "Date  & Time", and verify the date is this year. ..."

No, they're correct that was the first thing I checked. (Further, the files actually have correct dates in Finder (unless I copy back from iPod) ...  just not in iTunes Window.

Should it Matter: my date/time on CPU set to automatically update thru time.apple.com. I will try setting manually before next iPod Mount & get back to you immediately if this changes anything.

"Any other instructions you can give me to replicate the problem would be helpful."

the one consistent thing... I always test my files wirelessly (through FM Network) BEFORE adding a copy to reside on iPod.

Lastly/oddly/should any of the following Matter:

I have an iPod Touch G3;

I'm running iTunes 9.2.1 (holding off upgrade till Apple fixes Birthday problem) (wasnt 9.2.1 the current version at the time FMP Go was first released?),

I'm running OSX 10.58 on a G5 PPC. I also often close FMP Go while files are in use (tho not "busy")

Lastly: ENDLESS Thanks to whoever put FMP Go together... it's simply remarkable. Most useful thing on my iPod

• 3. Re: Database Dates set to 1970s on iPod
              TSGal

xandra:

Thanks for the additional information.

I'm using iTunes 10 on an iMac running OS X 10.5.8.  I currently don't have access to a Mac with iTunes 9.2.1.  I'm running FileMaker Go on an iPod touch with iOS 4.2.1.  That is about as close as I can get to your setup.

My machine is also set to automatically update date and time through time.apple.com.  I doubt setting it manually would change this, but I'd like to know if it does!

I also test my files remotely before adding it to the iPod touch.

After testing remotely, and then adding the file to iTunes (prior to moving it over), does the date/time show properly?  Or, does the date and time change occur after you moved the file over?  That is, I'm trying to find out if this is happening before the file is transferred, or after the file is transferred.  This will definitely help with the focus.

Do you happen to notice if the files with 1970/1971 dates are files that you left open when quitting from FileMaker Go?  (I've tried it here, but it didn't make a difference on my setup.)

For the moment, I have run out of ideas.  Please let me know if you are able to narrow this down further, or better yet, find the cause.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Database Dates set to 1970s on iPod
                alc

"After testing remotely, and then adding the file to iTunes (prior to moving it over), does the date/time show properly?  Or, does the date and time change occur after you moved the file over?  That is, I'm trying to find out if this is happening before the file is transferred, or after the file is transferred.  This will definitely help with the focus."

I did some testing today. Problem doesn't even require remote test, file (only the one on the iPod) automagically redates upon dragging the file (or using directory dbox) to iTunes.

More importantly, I noticed the same problem occurs within Good Reader (tho in that case, files I'd added some time ago - prior iTunes? iPod? versions) seemed ok)

Also oddly, you'll note that one file in my screenshot displayed a 2010 date. I opened that file today, made a change, then closed it, and now the file displays incorrectly.

Naturally I assumed something must be wrong with clock on iPod. But it was correct. So I remain baffled.

At this point it appears the problem is iPod/iTunes related. It's even conceivable it's a bug someone over at Apple noticed and  fixed it in updates (heck who knows an attempt to fix this may have caused the current(?) birthday bug.)

In any event - this is quite a pesky problem for me since copying back FMP files could really screw stuff up. I'd file a bug report with Apple but I'm sure they wouldn't even look at it since I'm not running iPod 4.2.1 (which requires iTunes 10.x - which I have numerous reasons not to install - and so it goes). Of course it may not even be related to iPod/iTunes versions - just some other setting in one or the other.

In any event -- perhaps someone on your end would have the expertise to understand how this could happen, or the power to get Apple's attention.  I doubt I'm the only one experiencing this, it was apparently going on for months before I even noticed it. I'd hate to see someone who hadn't noticed it, overwrite the wrong database.

Regardless, I really appreciate your efforts to date.

• 5. Re: Database Dates set to 1970s on iPod
                  alc

TSGal,

Recently upgraded to MacPro from my PPC G5 Machine. The date issue dissappeared after first sync once I replaced the files.

So it appears this was an Apple/iOS issue with PPC machines -- amazed others hadn't compained (tho I must note I hadn't even noticed it for quite a while & it's possible it only appeared after one of the updates) At this point I doubt Apple will do anything about it.

Nonetheless, I just wanted to get back you in case someone else reported it.

Thanks again for the excellent support.

xandra

• 6. Re: Database Dates set to 1970s on iPod
                    CarolynWhittaker

Thank you xandra. 

I'm having the same problem with my new iPhone.

Here's what I posted yesterday:

"I purchased FileMaker Go a short time ago and it is working well.  My  question is that when I update a file on my iPhone from my computer the  date and time information about the file is completely wrong .  My  iPhone is not connected to my computer by WiFi so I just manually add  the file after changes have been made to it on the computer.  This  incorrect information doesn't seem to effect the file but makes it  difficult to see when the last time the file was updated.

Have I got a setting wrong?  Date and time are correct on my computer."

I use an iBook G4 and Mac OS x 10.5.8  I am also in the process of purchasing a Macbook Pro. 

Sound like my problem will be solved when I upgrade my computer.

• 7. Re: Database Dates set to 1970s on iPod
                      TSGal

All:

The problem has been confirmed with PowerPC computers, as it appears affect several applications including Numbers, Pages, and Keynote.  There is a discussion of this on the Apple forum at:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/12050494

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.