10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 1:01 PM by TSGal

Database engine just shuts off every few days.

DanHeenan

Summary

Database engine just shuts off every few days.

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.10.4

Description of the issue

Database engine will shut down and disconnect all users. Script engine will shut down at same time. Scheduled scripts will send out error notices when scheduled to run. In the console, everything appears as if it is up, but the database engine button is grayed out. Can restart the database engine from the console, but activity and status display stays as it was when the console was entered. There is a long delay while the databases verify before opening. I have to restart the server to get the FMP Server console to clear. It has happened three times since 7/2/15.

Steps to reproduce the problem

None. Just happens.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None. There is a crash log. There is a line in the server console about XPC just before the crash.

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.CoreLocationAgent[24049]) Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.CoreLocation.agent

I have the crash log files.

Configuration information

Mac Pro 2011 with 32GB RAM and 480GB SSD.

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: Database engine just shuts off every few days.
          TSGal

Dan Heenan:

Thank you for your post.

Look at the FileMaker Server Event.log file to see what was occurring at the time of the crash.  This may provide a clue.

Regardless, I would like to see the crash files as well as the FileMaker Server log files.  Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the files.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Database engine just shuts off every few days.
            TSGal

Dan Heenan:

I received your files.  Thank you.

There is a known issue that FileMaker Server 13 may crash when rendering thumbnail images.  Although this is fixed in FileMaker Server 14, one thing you can do to minimize the crashes is to make sure you set thumbnail storage to Permanent storage so that the thumbnail image isn't created every time the image is accessed.  To do this, pull down the File menu and select Manage -> Containers...   Click the Thumbnails tab and change from Temporary storage to Permanent storage.

At this time, there are no plans to revisit FileMaker Server 13.  However, there are some security issues fixed in FileMaker Server 13.0v10, and we recommend downloading and installing this version.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15021/

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Database engine just shuts off every few days.
              DanHeenan

Do I click on generate thumbnails and then permanent storage. See attached

This is a file hosted on a FMP Server. If changed here at the client will it take effect for all users?

• 4. Re: Database engine just shuts off every few days.
                TSGal

Dan Heenan:

If you are accessing the hosted file, then changing the Container preference will be active for every client that connects.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Database engine just shuts off every few days.
                  DanHeenan

Did change the setting. It crashed again today. The database server engine turned off. I'll send the crash report. Console had the following lines at the time:

7/13/15 4:32:02.531 PM    SystemUIServer[357]    Attempt to use XPC with a MachService that has HideUntilCheckIn set. This will result in unpredictable behavior: com.apple.backupd.status.xpc

7/13/15 4:42:49.216 PM    com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]    (com.apple.ReportCrash.Root[26338]) Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.ReportCrash.DirectoryService

• 6. Re: Database engine just shuts off every few days.
                    TSGal

Dan Heenan:

I received your crash report.  Thank you.

First, I noticed from your previous post Endpoint.  Be sure this is not scanning FileMaker folder and files, as this would cause a crash.

Second, the crashed thread in the crash report is consistent with the thumbnail generating issue in FileMaker Server 13.  Since permanent storage is now turned on, I'll assume a new image was created that tried to generate the thumbnail.  Restart FileMaker Server and continue.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Database engine just shuts off every few days.
                      DanHeenan

Permanent storage was turned on before this most recent crash and the server was rebooted after that. Will this happen every time a new image is created anyway?

These are OS X 10.10.4 servers. What do you mean by Endpoint? I'm not running the Symantec or any other program called Endpoint so far as I know.

• 8. Re: Database engine just shuts off every few days.
                        TSGal

Dan Heenan:

My apologies.  We have had a few issues with Endpoint and FileMaker Server, but after internet searching your error message, I realized this has nothing to do with Symantec Endpoint.  There are a lot of possible causes for this error message to display, and most of them seem to revolve around memory, which would be consistent with running out of memory while rendering a thumbnail.

This will not happen every time a new image is created, but it should reduce the number of times the crash occurs because the thumbnail is generated once.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Database engine just shuts off every few days.
                          DanHeenan

It crashed again today. Two crashes in two days. The number of crashes has increased since thumbnails were made permanent. There's 32GB RAM on the servers and the cache is about 16GB. The hard drive is a 480GB IDE SSD with about 300GB free.

• 10. Re: Database engine just shuts off every few days.
                            TSGal

Dan Heenan:

The crashes are going to occur when processing some new Container images under all versions of FileMaker Server 13.  The issue will not occur under FileMaker Server 14.  At this time, there are no plans to revisit FileMaker Server 13.

FileMaker Server will always use 1/2 the memory of the machine, so in your case, 16GB RAM will be used by FileMaker Server.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.