7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2010 6:07 AM by dburnham

Database server not available: can't launch Admin Console in FMS9

dburnham

Summary

Database server not available: can't launch Admin Console in FMS9

Description of the issue

On a newly installed Windows 2003 server, I did a fresh clean install of FileMaker Server 9 and then when I attempt to launch the admin console, a message appears saying that the Database Server is not available. I made sure to run all the update patches up to and including 325.  I tried running 326 but it doesn't do anything on this server. I don't know if this is a Java problem or something else. I have read some posts that suggest that duplicate instances of the same license on the network can cause this problem but that is not my situation.  In fact, the first time I saw this error, I did not even have a network cable plugged into the server. Will appreciate any answers.  thank you in advance. 

• 1. Re: Database server not available: can't launch Admin Console in FMS9
          TSGal

dburnham:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Server 9 will not run with a version of Java past Release 6 Update 7.  Go into Control Panel, select Java, click on General -> About... to verify the version.

Launch FileMaker Pro from another machine.  Pull down the File menu and select "Open Remote...".  Are you able to see the Server?  Are you able to see database files?  If so, then FileMaker Server 9 is running and hosting files, and then we can focus on the Admin Console.  If not, then I'll need to know if anything appeared out of the ordinary when installing FileMaker Server 9.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Database server not available: can't launch Admin Console in FMS9
            jrobin1

I am working on a Mac, with OS 10.6.2. I can verify that I can access the sample files on the fM9 server from another mac client, so the server is running and hosting files.

I can not get the admin console to open and I get the same error message "Database server not available. To edit server deployment, please start the Database Server first" I also do not have FMS9 installed on anyother machine.

Any help would be appreciated. 

• 3. Re: Database server not available: can't launch Admin Console in FMS9
              TSGal

jrobin1:

Thank you for the additional information.

Admin Console for FileMaker Server 9 is a Java application, and it will not run with a version of Java above release 6 update 7.  Go into Java Preferences to check the version of Java, and if you have an older version listed, move that to the top.

Let me know if you continue to have difficulty.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Database server not available: can't launch Admin Console in FMS9
                jrobin1

Thank you for such a quick responce. I am running Snow Leopard Server with a clean install. In the Java Preferences it shows,

Java SE 6 64-Bit

Java SE 6 32-Bit

Under the version number for Java WebStart it shows v. 13.1.0

Does this mean I can no longer use FMS9?

• 5. Re: Database server not available: can't launch Admin Console in FMS9
                  dburnham

Even though I started this thread a few weeks ago, my question was about a Windows 2003 server, not a Mac.  It seems as if your answers, TSGal, are for a Mac.  

Moreover, I am now running FileMaker Server 10 (not advanced).  The Windows 2003 Server is "Standard" with Service Pack 2 installed.  I am able to launch the Admin Start Page.  The "technology tests" run OK, but it reports that PHP and XSLT are disabled, and they should not be.  I don't expect IWP to be running.  The Admin Console doesn't launch automatically; I have to press the button to start it.  And then in the Overview it reports:  "An error was encountered communicating with the server" and the icons above indicate that Web Publishing engine is not running, however I have green lights on the Web Server (PHP) and Database Server (ODBC/JDBC).  In the WPE section there is a red light and IWP is off; XML and XSLT are on.

The problem I think is that this occurs when the server restarts with an active network connection.  If I drive downtown to the data center and disable the network connection, then do a restart, and then enable the network connection, everything is OK.  I could be wrong about that, but that seems to have been the case when I paid TS for an incident 2 weeks ago and the same thing happened.

The thing is, all the databases are being served fine and run just as they should.  Even the web sites that call the databases with PHP are fine.  I just don't like seeing red lights when I should see all green. 

• 6. Re: Database server not available: can't launch Admin Console in FMS9
                    jrobin1
                       Sorry dburnham, I didn't mean to highjack your thread. I though I would try to seek help since we were getting the same error message. I will post elsewhere.
                    • 7. Re: Database server not available: can't launch Admin Console in FMS9
                      dburnham
                         No problem -- keep it here.  I don't care where the answer comes from, as long as it arrives!