8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2012 8:08 AM by Carl_1

Database Server Shutdown Error

sweetpiggy

Summary

Database Server Shutdown Error

Description of the issue

Hi, We often get an error message "Error encountered trying to shutdown Database Server" when we are trying to stop the server to upload our updated database. What causes this problem? We are using FileMaker Server 9.0.3.326 in Windows XP. Thanks. 

• 1. Re: Database Server Shutdown Error
          TSGal

ksb:

Thank you for your post.

Take a look at the last few entries in the event.log file.  This may provide a clue to why you are receiving an error.

If you are running any web activities, then look at the web logs.

If you have trouble understanding these, or if you need clarification, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Database Server Shutdown Error
            sweetpiggy

hi thanks for the reply.

I have checked the events log and the last activities were to back up our database and consistency check before stopping the server. We are not running any web activities. Any possible reason why is this keep on happening? Thanks.

• 3. Re: Database Server Shutdown Error
              TSGal

ksb:

Thank you for the additional information.

Does the log show the backup and/or consistency finished/completed?  Try a backup schedule without consistency.  Does this show it completed successfully?  I'm trying to narrow down further all possibilities.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Database Server Shutdown Error
                mrdambro

I get the same error using FM Server 11 (Error encountered trying to shutdown Database Server"). I also cannot close any database and hence cannot remove a database. It worries me that users might open one of these databases and that they are corrupted in some way (or is this just a server issue?). In any case, is there a way to get around this? I'd like to upload an updated database (before users try to open the old one).

Mark

• 5. Re: Database Server Shutdown Error
                  philmodjunk

Do you have any scheduled backups taking place?

Does the status on any of them show as "running" when they should show as "OK"?

• 6. Re: Database Server Shutdown Error
                    mates

Unfortunately, I'm getting the same error. I want to stop files from the admin control panel as if it hangs. Then I necessarily trying to stop filemaker service. However, it also does not stop and the error seems to number 1053. I'm using Filemaker Server Advanced version is 10.0.2.

• 7. Re: Database Server Shutdown Error
                      Carl_1

I'm encountering the same error when trying to stop the database server.  I'm using Mac OS X v10.6.8 and FileMaker Server v11.0.3.309.  My primary goal is to find a way to shut down the server cleanly so that the databases won't become corrupted.

• 8. Re: Database Server Shutdown Error
                        Carl_1

UPDATE:  I was able to use the command line interface to stop FileMaker Server cleanly so that I could reboot the server.  Here's the command:

fmsadmin close -y

Now, things appear to be back to normal for awhile.  My server had been running since December, so I can't say how long it took to get into this situation.