1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2011 11:03 AM by RobertKatz1185

DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu

philmodjunk

Summary

DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu

Description of the issue

This is a sometime issue. I can't always reproduce it, but it happens a lot: I open file 1. I trigger a script on file 1 that opens file 2. It doesn't seem to matter whether the script in file 1 opens the file directly or use a perform script call that triggers a script in file 2. Either way, I now see file 2 as expected. If I pull down the window menu, I see file 1 listed, but if I select file 1 to bring it to the front, now my window menu does not list file 2. File 2 is not hidden, and if I minimize the File 1 window, I see File 2. I see the same thing whether I open the files locally with FMP 10 adv or connect to files hosted by FMS 10. System Information: Windows XP, SP3. Filemaker Pro 10 Adv.  

• 1. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu
          hschlossberg
             Yup -- happens frequently, though seemingly inconsistently.
          • 2. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu
            TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for your post.

How inconsistent is this.  I have just tried a minimum of 20 times without a problem.  I am running Windows XP (sp3) on a Dell Dimension with FileMaker Pro 10.  This is what I have done.

1. I created Test.fp7 with a few fields and entered a few records.

2. I created Test1.fp7 with a few fields and entered a few records.

3. I returned to Test.fp7 and created a script "OPEN" with the following information.

Open File [ "test1" ]

4. I executed "OPEN", and Test1 opened.  I see both files open, and the Window menu shows both files.

5. I selected Test, and I no longer see Test1 visibly, but if I pull down the Window menu, both files are listed.

-------------

I tried this a minimum of 20 times, plus I decided to open the file hidden a couple of times to see if that had any effect.  I then opened a third file leaving one hidden, closing files, reopening files, hiding, unhiding....  Never was able to duplicate the problem.

I looked to see if there were any outstanding cases with a file not being listed in the Windows menu, and I found a similar case from 2007 using FileMaker Pro 8 on Windows XP.  (Purely coincidental.  XP was not one of my parameters).  This involved a hidden file, which is why I tried this.  No resolution was found, so it may still be related.

howards - since you are also seeing it, do you also have a Windows XP machine?  I'm not trying to deduce anything.  I'm solely looking for any kind of commonality between the machines and version(s) of FileMaker Pro.

All in all, I have updated the case with this thread.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu
              philmodjunk

I've gotten the same issue just using the file menu to open the second file. I don't think the scripts are a factor. Like "status bar junk" it comes and goes--that's worst kind of bug to run down and fix.

Note to forum members, if you're are seeing this behavior, please chime in with your system info and any other observations, it may help them to run it down.

• 4. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu
                hschlossberg

Yes, I am also on XP.  In some of my solutions, it is frequent, though I have never been able to pin down a particular sequence of events ro reliably replicate it.  Those solutions where it is frequent have some Open File [Hidden], and lots of Hide Window and Resize to Fit steps, and lots of going to a hidden window and working on it before resizing to fit (or other indirect actions that would make it non-hidden).

FWIW, this a common occurence among many Windows developers I know.  I would go so far as to presume it is a "known issue". 

• 5. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu
                  TSGal

howards:

Thanks for the additional information.  I have forwarded your information, too.

It may be common, but I have not encountered this before, and I only see one instance mentioned in the database that Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) host.

Do you know if any of those developers have reported this previously to FileMaker, Inc.?  If you know of some other common occurrences that you haven't seen posted on the forum, you may want to send me a private message, and I'll make sure there is a reference internally for any problems mentioned.

Thanks again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu
                    philmodjunk

Looking for that common thread...

The files I am using use a "on open" scripts that do manipulate the windows.

They open at least one file in a "hidden" window.

The status bar is hidden.

The current window is maximized.

Note that the files opened and "hidden" are not the files I am referring to as file1 and file2 in my original post.

• 7. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu
                      TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thanks again for the additional information.  If you think of any more factors, I will keep adding them to the case.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu
                        mbateman
                           I just want to chime in to say that I've seen this at least twice and am not able to reproduce it, for what it's worth.  I run 10 Advanced on a Windows XP SP3 machine.  -Michael
                        • 9. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu
                          scottworld

<!--  StartFragment  -->One other long-time bug that is VERY annoying about FileMaker -- and this bug has been around since FileMaker 7 -- is that open windows in FileMaker do not show up when right-clicking on the FileMaker icon in the Mac OS X dock.

All other Mac OS X programs show you a list of the open windows when you right-click on their icon in the dock, which makes it very easy to jump to a specific window right from the dock.

But this can't be done with FileMaker... FileMaker does not respect the dock in Mac OS X, and so this is a bug.

I have reported this several times to FileMaker Inc. to no avail.

Thanks,

Scott 

• 10. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu
                            LynnAllen

Howard gave me a heads-up about this thread. It is apparently not a new problem, because it occurs for me, pretty reliably, on a customer's server. 

Server is running Windows Server 2008 (I know) and FM Server 9, and when I stop the server and open the files, I work in a local copy of FM Pro 8.5. Not Advanced, just Pro. I do basic importing during upgrades with this.

I generally open all the cloned data files, then individually open each working data file (renamed, of course). I open the ScriptMaker window for each of these, and in the older files perform a "Show All Records" for all tables, then return to the clone and perform an "Import from Data file" script that imports into all tables.  I may have as many as 20 files open at one time.

All those file names and the "Manage Scripts..." lines accumulate in the Windows menu of FM, and when they reach between 8 & 10 lines, I can no longer access the ones that fall off.  Not only that, I never get the "More Windows" menu choice. If I need to get back into a data file again, I can reselect in the OS folder with a double-click and it will come forward, but that's a bit clumsy.

If I go behind myself and work methodically file by file and am very careful to close each window after use, including ScriptMaker windows, I can sometimes prevent enough files accumulating in the Windows menu to cause this to happen, but not always. It is a pain, though. 

Have I reported it to FM? No. I knew others have experienced this, and figured someone knew about it, and just live with it, like so many other things.

Lynn Allen

Allen & Allen Semiotics, Long Beach, CA 

• 11. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu
                              TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post.

This has been around since FileMaker 8.5.  I see your original reference made from July, 2006.

The notes state that this should be referenced by the OS, but our cocoa/carbon hybrid is interfering with this.  If we ever go complete cocoa, this should be remedied.  Other applications, including iCal, also don't display open windows in the dock menu.

At this time, no other information is available.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu

I deal with this everyday. It generally doesn't happen when only a few files are open, but is very common if there are more than 20. Often, a window will appear in the list, but when you choose it, another window opens instead. It seems to happen more to some specific files than others, and may be related to files opened indirectly by relationships. I still create scripts in the main file simply to open window and bring them to the front.

While this problem doesn't happen quite as much in v9, you probably have few reports because we've all given up much hope of it being addressed.

• 13. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu
                                  philmodjunk

bobg,

This sounds like a different problem:

Your using v9 and a different file is opening than the one you have selected from the window menu.

After speding a great deal of time merging old 5.5 files into nice shiny new FMP 10 multi-table files, I now only have a maximum of 10 files to open and have encountered this bug with just 2 or 3 open files.

It definitely comes and goes. For the past several days, all open files are correctly listed and can't seem to identify any reason why the window menu is listing them correctly now and not earlier.

• 14. Re: DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu
                                    TSGal

LynnAllen:

Thank you for your detailed information.  I have also added this to the case.  This may help with testing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next