Dbl dialogs

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

14 advanced

Operating system version

Win7 64

Description of the issue

When running any script that has a dialog box, I get double overlapping dialogs every time - no matter the script.

EVEN OPENING THE DATA VIEWER BRINGS UP 2 BOXES!

Configuration information

using win 7 machine FMP 14 pro advance remotely accessing fmp12 files which are on xp machine running the main filemaker which works fine

CaptureDBOX.JPG

• 1. Re: Dbl dialogs
          TSGal

HB:

Thank you for your post.

I see the two dialog boxes, and it appears each dialog box has different information.  Can you verify?

You mention that when you open the Data Viewer, there are "2 BOXES!"  Are these two Data Viewer boxes or dialog boxes?

On the same machine, if you create a new Windows user account, login to the new account, launch FileMaker Pro, and open the file, do you get the same results?  I'm trying to determine if this is a FileMaker issue (where I would reinstall), or if this is a user account issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Dbl dialogs
            HB

These are dialog boxes. I did uninstall & re-install filemaker prior to posting the original problem & the dbl boxes re occured. I will see if I logging as a different user helps..

• 3. Re: Dbl dialogs
              HB

BTW , I just created a brand new Filemaker file, opened it, madew a script with a dialog box - ran it & same thing - two overlapping dialog boxes.. I will try as a different windows user.

• 4. Re: Dbl dialogs
                HB

I logged in as another windows user, (non admin) ran Filemaker 14 Pro Advanced, and just prior to it opening up,  a dialog box came up that asked for a user password. I entered my user windows user psw then made a new file,  made a script with a dialog box - ran it & it was fine this time. Any idea why Filemaker has problems when I am logged in as one user  though every other program works fine with that same user?

• 5. Re: Dbl dialogs
                  TSGal

HB:

When you launch FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced, it should not ask you for a user password unless you are opening a database file.  Can you post the a screen shot?

If it works under one user but not another, it sounds like you have a script that displays messages depending on the user account and privileges.  Are you the administrator?  If so, check the startup scripts as well as any script triggers that may be affected by user account information.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Dbl dialogs
                    HB

I relaunced Filemaker 14 in the nonadmin windows user account & this time I can't get a password request - maybe that was a first-time opening Filemaker request for that user???? Lets ignore that.

The problem remains - Dbl dialog boxes.

This is a bare bones file - only thing done to it is a simple 1 line script for a dialog box. No startup scripts that I set, no user accounts, no script triggers or anything else was done. No data. Just made one file & opened it to run the 1 script.

• 7. Re: Dbl dialogs
                      HB

Here is the problem

• 8. Re: Dbl dialogs
                        TSGal

HB:

There are two different dialog boxes showing.  The script shows the lower dialog box.  Therefore, comment out the Show Custom Dialog script step and execute the script.  Does the other dialog box appear?  If not, then leave the original script step commented, and add a new Show Custom Dialog script step and execute.  Does that work?

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Dbl dialogs
                          HB

TSGal

I disabled the line - nothing happens when I run script.

BTW, as attached, even if I edit a script & close it, & Filemaker asks if I wish to save it - I get the same dbl dialog box error.

The top box works, the underlying just exists whenever the top one does.

• 10. Re: Dbl dialogs
                            TSGal

HB:

If the double dialog box doesn't occur in a new user account, then it appears FileMaker Pro is working correctly, but there is something in the original user account that is causing the issue.  Making changes to the registry can be dangerous (possibly damaging Windows), so I would recommend deleting FileMaker Pro and reinstalling, as this will write all new files to the user account.  You can use the Programs and Features control panel to uninstall FileMaker Pro.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Dbl dialogs
                              HB

Hi

As I stated above, I have uninstalled & re-installed Filemaker already, & I still get 2 dialog boxes. I don't recall changing any registry changes either - if you think of anything else - please let me know - as all other programs are working without a glitch.

• 12. Re: Dbl dialogs
                                Markus Schneider

is Acrobat involved? Under 13 and Win7, there have been known issues - maybe under 14 as well (one of die dialog boxes without labels)

• 13. Re: Dbl dialogs
                                  HB

no acrobat