Thank you for your post.
I am not getting the same results, so let me go through your steps.
> Create a new file with a single table with a new field that is doing a Summary and has the "Restart summary" option checked
I created a new file, Sample.fp7 as follows:
Summary Total (Summary - Total of Number)
I then returned to "Summary Total" and checked the option "Running total" and "Restart summary for each sorted group" and selected "Text".
Therefore, I only need three fields; not four as you suggested. Am I missing a step?
> Run the DDR.
> Note the table attribute listed for the Additional Field/Field is empty.
My attributes for Text and Number are identical. They are not empty.
> Add another Table and another field to that table, then change the sort to use the other Table.
My second table is named "Second", and I created a text field "second". I sorted on "second"
> When you run the DDR the table now appears.
Yes, as it did previously.
> Delete the second Table and its Table Occurrence without altering the Summary field.
Did you mean in the step above to change the sort in the Summary field? Assuming you meant that, I have done this prior to deleting the second Table and its Table Occurrence.
> When you run the DDR the table attribute is present, but empty.
My DDR does show <Missing Base Table> for the second table occurrence, and does display an entry under "In Field Definitions" for "Total Summary" field as it should to alert you of the error.
Yes, I would like to see your sample file for the first part. I have sent you a private message (top of this page - envelope icon on the right side below the reddish horizontal bar) with instructions where to send the file.
I received your file. Thank you.
I ran the DDR report in both FileMaker Pro 10 and FileMaker Pro 11. I do not see any inconsistency.
I noticed the Summary Broken field displays <Missing Field> as it should. I don't see where the empty field is located.
What steps should I take (other than what you described earlier) to discover the empty entry.
I'm trying to post the details of the XML to the forum, but it's not liking them. Wonderful forum software keeps telling me it's changing my HTML.
I've sent you another direct email with the details.
I received your email.
I've had other problems with literal tags being interpreted as HTML. Therefore, paste what you have, but then remove the "<" and ">" from each line. I'll work with it to try and get it to display properly so others may be able to comment.
I didn't realise but I never posted a follow up here for this. Some details :
The difference is in the way it's reporting the field used by the summary field. Compare in my example file. This is the "SummaryWorks" field :
Field id="7" dataType="Number" fieldType="Summary" name="SummaryWorks"
SummaryInfo restartForEachSortedGroup="True" summarizeRepetition="Together" operation="RunningTotal"
Field id="1" name="Number"
Field table="Second" id="1" name="Sort"/
The bit that has the issue is the "Field" node inside the AdditionalField node. The above one is what it should look like. This is what you get when you select any TO other than the first TO for the Table. If you delete that TO (ie the "Second" Table Occurrence), then it changes to this :
Field table="" id="1" name=""/
Same as the SummaryBroken field in my example file.
At this point, everything as is it should. But if you select the very first TO in the list, then it doesn't show the table name as an attribute of the Field node, it just has :
Field id="1" name="Sort"/
Same as the SummaryDefault field in my example file. As you can see there, the table is missing, even though it's valid and the field works fine. It should show the table name attribute node regardless of which TO you've picked from the list. It is actually using the TO, it just doesn't tell you which one. If you deleted the TO the field would break, but it's not referenced in the DDR.
I'm doing this in v11, but I'm fairly certain the behaviour is the same in 10.
Thank you for the follow-up. The information has been sent to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments. There is no update at this time. When additional information becomes available, I will let you know.