Debugger / Data Viewer Slowness,  Possible idea

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12 v2

Operating system version

MAC OS Mountain Lion, and Win 7

Description of the issue

I believe that you all are aware of the issue where, when debugging through a script that references "a lot" (15+) of fields, opening the  Data Viewer takes forever (minutes and minutes of time.)

This is highly debilitating for me, so I am pointing it out again.  Plus I have an idea, which may constitute a quick fix for FMI programmers (see NOTE, below).

Steps to reproduce the problem

1.  Create a script that references many fields.  I have seen debilitating slowness even with only 15-20 fields referenced.

2.  Run through the script with the debugger on.

3.  Open the Data Viewer at some point.

4.  FMP hangs for a while as it, apparently, tries to figure out the values of ALL of the referenced fields.  This happens even if the data viewer was set in WATCH mode, with nothing listed to WATCH.

Expected result

In the old days,  (FMP 11)  you would see slowness in the debugger, but only if you tried to step through scripts with the Data Viewer on at all times.  So my workaround was, keep the Data Viewer closed, most of the time, during debugging,  and only open it once in a while to check on the value(s) of certain fields or variables, then quickly close it again, before moving to the next debugging step.  This worked fine in FMP11. 

NOTE:  if I set my data viewer to "WATCH" mode, I would hope that it would ONLY load in the variables and fields I've specifically asked for in WATCH mode.   Sadly, this is not the case.  It seems to ALWAYS load in ALL of the "CURRENT" variables/fields, even when I don't care about (most of)  them.    If you (FMI) made only the following change in behavior, I'd be happy: " If my data viewer is in WATCH Mode, then do NOT load in ALL of the CURRENT variables/fields. Only load the stuff I've asked for in WATCH mode  "

Actual result

Now, in FMP12, v2,  the slowness and hangi-ness is all-pervasive.  The data viewer is useless within the context of any script that references more than a handful of fields or variables.

NOTE:  if I set my data viewer to "WATCH" mode, I would hope that it would ONLY load in the variables and fields I've specifically asked for in WATCH mode.   Sadly, this is not the case.  It seems to ALWAYS load in ALL of the "CURRENT" variables/fields, even when I don't care about (most of)  them.    If you (FMI) made only the following change in behavior, I'd be happy: " If my data viewer is in WATCH Mode, then do NOT load in ALL of the CURRENT variables/fields. Only load the stuff I've asked for in WATCH mode  "

Workaround

No workarounds found,  aside from breaking up larger scripts which is
      1) Expensive (or unbillable) for my clients,
      2) Not always possible.
      . . .  Life is miserable!!

Just to make sure it comes through, here was my idea from above: