Debugger and Data View window refresh makes them unusable

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Advanced

Operating system version

Mac and Windows

Description of the issue

We have had this problem from the beginning on Windows, but just recently it's made its way to our Mac clients as well:  the Data Viewer and Script Debugger seem to get stuck in a window refresh cycle that makes them un-usable.  Essentially both windows get into a state where they just keep redrawing over and over and over, which means you cannot scroll either one - like when trying to step through a script.  The Debugger also doesn't display text of the steps - or perhaps the font is just turning gray to match the highlight bar - in any case, there is no way to read what it says. 

This was never a problem on Mac until we upgraded to v4.  This effectively makes Pro Advanced worthless to me - if I can't actually debug scripts, what's the point?

This has happened on Windows for all of our Advanced users from the start with v12 and just began happening on our one Mac install of Advanced with v4 - previous Mac installs had been fine.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Work in Pro Advanced for a few minutes with Data Viewer and Script Debugger open

Expected result

Normal use of window, no flashing, no refreshing, all text legible.

Actual result

Windows refresh, scroll back to the top automatically, text becomes invisible

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no visible error

Workaround

Quit and restart

Screen_Shot_2013-05-16_at_1.40.04_PM.png

• 1. Re: Debugger and Data View window refresh makes them unusable
          philmodjunk

Does it happen all the time or at random?

Does this happen with multiple files or just one file?

If you create a small test file and use the debugger and data viewer with it, can you get the same result?

These questions/tests can rule out the possibility that damage to your file is the cause of the behavior you have encountered.

• 2. Re: Debugger and Data View window refresh makes them unusable
            eswanborg

It does not happen all the time - as a Quit and Restart puts it back to the expected behavior for a while.  It's almost like it's related to the amount of time the application is open, maybe?  I just restarted my PC mid-morning today.  It was OK until about 3:00, then I started to get the strobing Debugger window again.

Appears to happen in all files - and again happens to all users (of Advanced) in our office.

We have a new file that has only a few tables, three scripts and virtually no records yet, and it happens there, so I do not think it is database-related.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Debugger and Data View window refresh makes them unusable
              RickWhitelaw

I have FMPA  12.04 installed on a Mac running 10.7.5 and am not having the issues you describe. I use the data viewer and script debugger extensively.  However I don't tend to keep the debugger window open for extended periods of time.  I often have the data viewer open for a long time though as I use it to test formulas and functions I'm writing. If you only have one Mac install and you've exhausted all other avenues, perhaps do a reinstall of FMPA. I can't imagine what's causing this. One more thing to consider: is this sort of behavior happening in any other applications on your Mac? If so I would start looking at OS problems.

• 4. Re: Debugger and Data View window refresh makes them unusable
                Fred(CH)
                Rick :
                     If this issue had also (and first in fact) happend on many Windows system, it seems not system related.

eswanborg :
                     • Rick first idea is interesting : i think many people use Debugger punctually and not permanently. Because when you are browsing your database, it is not  so convenient to let it open. Maybe intensive using of Debugger can cause an unknown bug. So, is it your case ?
                     • Are all your files hosted on a server ? If true, did you test this behavior with a local file ? Just to see if server is incriminated.

Bye, Fred
                • 5. Re: Debugger and Data View window refresh makes them unusable
                  MikhailEdoshin

I confirm having seen this on Windows. It manifested itself as frequent redraws that were getting slower and slower. They disappeared after restarting FileMaker. It was 12v3, I think.

• 6. Re: Debugger and Data View window refresh makes them unusable
                    MikhailEdoshin

I confirm having seen this on Windows. It manifested itself as frequent redraws that were getting slower and slower. They disappeared after restarting FileMaker. It was 12v3, I think.

• 7. Re: Debugger and Data View window refresh makes them unusable
                      eswanborg

Well - all I can update at the moment is that I did a reinstall on the Mac but only went back to 12v3 and the refreshing Debugger is gone - it's back to normal.

EDIT - I lied - even reverting to 12v3 the issue on the Mac still exists.  Will try dumping all prefs and perhaps another re-install to see if it helps.

• 8. Re: Debugger and Data View window refresh makes them unusable
                        philmodjunk

Am I correct that you are leaving the dataviewer and/or the debugger open for extended periods of time?

I'm trying to narrow down possible reasons why:

a) this has not previously been reported

b) why I have yet to see this issue on my xp and w7 boxes. I leave FMP 12 open all day on my xp box, but only open those windows on an "as needed" basis so am wondering if that might be a factor here.

• 9. Re: Debugger and Data View window refresh makes them unusable
                          MikhailEdoshin

I only saw it once or maybe twice, it's not a frequent glitch. I don't quite remember if I was doing some extra long debugging or not; I guess it could happen that the debugger window stayed there longer than usual. It was Windows 7 and I worked on a remote database.

• 10. Re: Debugger and Data View window refresh makes them unusable
                            eswanborg

On many days, yes, I will have Debugger open much of the time.  Most of my work is with scripting - not data entry - so it's a tool I rely on a lot, and therefore tend to just leave it up.  Maybe that'll lead to something. 

Sadly - whatever happened when I updated to v4 has stuck even though I've reverted to v3 and removed all Prefs.  It's been only about 90 minutes since I started with fresh Prefs in v3 and the issue is back.  I guess it could be file-related, but it just seems strange that I had no problems at all with this on my Mac until I updated to v4.  I work primarily on my Mac, but have a PC also (and use the files on both systems frequently) - so for months now I've had this problem only on the PC side, which is why I am assuming it's something in the update to Mac v4 that finally caught up with whatever's been on the Windows side from the start.  This problem is specific to just the Data Viewer and Debugger inside of FMP, no other applications exhibit this behavior on either system (someone had asked earlier about other things showing this problem).

Thanks

• 11. Re: Debugger and Data View window refresh makes them unusable
                              philmodjunk

but it just seems strange that I had no problems at all with this on my Mac until I updated to v4....

The fact that Mikail has also gotten this behavior is evidence that supports the likely possibility that this is not an issue due to a damaged file, but to explain my reasoning...

It's been known to happen that damage to a file can result in a file that behaves normally--even for months of use until either:

The file is opened on a different platform such as taking a file used on a mac and opening it in windows:

FileMaker is updated to a new release version

The OS is updated to a new release version.

While such a cause and effect is fairly rare, I have seen this happen in other cases. Apparently, the OS change or the FileMaker upgrade is just enough of a change to result in noticeable issues when the damage was hidden until that specific change took place.

• 12. Re: Debugger and Data View window refresh makes them unusable
                                eswanborg

Just following up on this topic.  

I did revert back to 12v3 on my Mac (almost immediately after trying v4) and have not had any issues with Debugger or Data Viewer - like I do on Windows and had on Mac v4.  Considering I'm using all the same files throughout this process I have to believe the issue is related to some change in v4 on the Mac side (that now matches the problem that has existing from the beginning of 12 on Windows) not with the files themselves.

Again, all users in my office on Windows have had this problem from the beginning with 12.

I guess we'll stick with v3 on the Mac side as well as it seems there hasn't been much movement on this issue.