3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 4:52 PM by philmodjunk

default drop shadow effect for pop-up menu not modifiable?

JanWalker

Summary

default drop shadow effect for pop-up menu not modifiable?

Description of the issue

I observe that pop-up menus have a drop shadow effect by default.  It appears in Layout, Browse, and Preview, so I guess would appear in Print too although I haven't tried that.  I don't want to have this effect for pop-up menu fields but I don't see how to get rid of it.  The field doesn't have borders and when I select "effects" from the layout formatting bar drop down, it shows "none" as the default for those fields.  So choosing None again doesn't help any.  How do I get rid of it? And a related question, has anyone found a really technically definitive description of the user interface behavior of pop-up menu and drop-down list?  They don't seem to operate by default the same way for data entry in fmp10 as they did in fmp7.  I want to know exactly how these input methods are designed to work and what the options imply without stating. Thanks for any help.User since Filemaker 3. 

• 1. Re: default drop shadow effect for pop-up menu not modifiable?
          TSGal

Jan Walker:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, it is not possible to drop the shadow effect for fields formatted to display pop-up values (other than setting the field borders to the background color).  If you don't want to print with the shadow, you could duplicate the layout and change the format for those pop-up fields to another option.

I would encourage you to enter this into our Feature Suggestion web form located at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

I could easily copy your post and paste it into the form, but there are additional questions asked that only you can answer. 

Both a pop-up list and drop down list provide a set of values to select from.  If you are on a Mac, you cannot tab into pop-up list.  Both provide the same function.  However, in a drop down list, you can enter your own information without having to include an "Other" option.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: default drop shadow effect for pop-up menu not modifiable?
            comment_1

Jan Walker wrote:

I don't want to have this effect for pop-up menu fields but I don't see how to get rid of it.

Remove the field's borders, or make them transparent.

• 3. Re: default drop shadow effect for pop-up menu not modifiable?
              philmodjunk

More differences between pop-ups and drop downs:

With drop downs you can usually specify the auto-complete option. You cannot with pop-ups.

If you specify a 2 column value list with the first column hidden, pop-up formatted fields display the matching value from the 2nd column while drop downs display the first (when you don't have the value list "popped up"/"dropped down").