3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2009 8:54 AM by TSGal

Default printers in FMP 10 Trial Version

AndrewKHSmith

Summary

Default printers in FMP 10 Trial Version

Description of the issue

I have been using FMP 8 and am testing FMP 10 with a view to upgrading. However, unlike FMP 8, FMP 10 changes the default printer setting for each layout, i.e. with three layouts to be printed to three different printers. Is there no solution to this short of writing a script to print to the required printer? Tx - KRA

• 1. Re: Default printers in FMP 10 Trial Version
          TSGal

AndrewKHSmith:

Thank you for your post.

I can't seem to duplicate this problem, and I know that doesn't help you.  This is what I have done.

1. I opened three database files.  FILEA has four layouts, and FILEB has three layouts.

2. With FILEA, I go to Layout1, select print, and choose a network printer.

3. I switch to Layout2, select print, and choose a local printer.

4. I switch back to Layout1, select print, and the local printer is already chosen.  I cancel.

5. I switch to FILEB, go to print, and the local printer is the default.  I select the network printer and print.

6. I switch back to FILEA, go to print, and the network printer is selected.

If I'm doing something different than you, please let me know.  I'd like to try and duplicate this.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Default printers in FMP 10 Trial Version
            AndrewKHSmith

Hi TSGal!

Tx for your trouble - and indeed I believe you have exactly duplicated the problem!!! 

Three files are involved here:

1. TT Worksheets - prints toCanon MP730

2. TT Invoices - prints to Adobe PDF

3. TT Bankslips - prints to LaserJet 6MP

With FMP 8, these printers remain selected from one task to the next, and one day to the next. Each time you print from any of the files, you automatically get the right printer.

With  FMP 10, each time you select a different printer for one file, this also becomes the printer for the other files - exactly as you describe! 

For the time being, the workaround is to work with FMP 8 - but this is not really an elegant solution (especially not for FMP!!!).

KR A 

• 3. Re: Default printers in FMP 10 Trial Version
              TSGal

AndrewKHSmith:

Thanks for the information.

I just tried this with FileMaker Pro 9, and it works the same way.  Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of FileMaker Pro 8 to try, but it appears this was changed in 9.

What you can do is create a startup script for each file.  That is, when the file opens, it executes a script that sets the printer default.  That is, create a script for each file that restores the page setup.  Once those scripts are created, pull down the File menu and select "File Options".  Select the Open/Close tab (if not already selected) and put a check mark in the option to Perform a Script when opening the file, and select the appropriate script.  Now, each time the file is open, the appropriate printer is selected.

However, if you are switching between file after they are open, then you may want to have a print button that restores the page setup.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.