9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 5:18 PM by Ender

Delete Portal Row bug

Ender

Summary

Delete Portal Row bug

Description of the issue

I found what seems to be a bug in FM10 with some users unable to delete portal rows using the delete key, even though the Portal Setup allows it and the user has privileges to delete records in the related table.  The problem is related to Allowed menu access choice in the privilege set. This was not a problem in previous versions. See here for an example file (FM Cafe members only, sorry):http://www.filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php?t=23735

• 1. Re: Delete Portal Row bug
          TSGal

Ender:

Thank you for your post.

I would like to obtain a copy of this file so I can review it.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Delete Portal Row bug
            TSGal

Ender:

Thank you for your file.

I see that User 2 has the Access Privilege set as User 1, but the Available menu commands are limited to "Editing only", which does not give you the ability to delete records.  If you pull down the Records menu while in Browse, you will see "Delete Record..." and "Delete All Records..." are grayed out.  That is why you cannot delete the portal records.

This would be the same on both Mac and Windows.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Delete Portal Row bug
              Ender

I'm glad you understand the issue. 

Now try it in FileMaker 9, FileMaker 8.5, FileMaker 8, & FileMaker 7, and you''ll see why I'm reporting this change in behavior as a bug.

• 4. Re: Delete Portal Row bug
                TSGal

Ender:

Okay.  Now I understand.

The original problem reported was that you COULD delete a portal row with access privilege set to Edit menu.  That is, if the access privileges don't allow you to delete a record, then you should not be able to delete a portal row.  This was fixed in FileMaker Pro 10.

I guess it all depends how you view it.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it, and I'm sorry for not understanding it initially.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Delete Portal Row bug
                  Ender

The original problem reported was that you COULD delete a portal row with access privilege set to Edit menu.  That is, if the access privileges don't allow you to delete a record, then you should not be able to delete a portal row.  This was fixed in FileMaker Pro 10.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand.  Where was this "problem" reported?  I didn't have an issue with the old behavior.  Limiting the menu access didn't hamper portal row deletion in previous versions, including FM6 and below.  When did the problem come up?

Just as important, why can't I find documentation about this change in FM10?  It's useful to know about these things prior to deployment, and I do my best to read the change notes.  I don't recall seeing anything about this.  With a large solution, changes to behavior take time to work around, in this case involving adding delete buttons to lots of portals.  

Why not make your "problem" reporter use delete buttons (portal deletion not allowed in Portal Setup, with a button performing the delete), which is how it's been working for cases like this anyway.  Or they can use the privilege set's Records->Delete settings for that table, which is what should be used anyway for allowing or excepting access to delete records in each table.

Are you sure this is intended behavior in FM10??

• 6. Re: Delete Portal Row bug
                    TSGal

Ender:

This problem was reported a few years ago, and several other users have since encountered the error.  This information, as with all problems reported, is kept internally in a FileMaker Pro database that is used by Development and Testing to track these issues.

The original problem allowed you to delete records, even when you didn't allow deletion of related records in the portal.  This was changed so that the delete key would only work when you allowed deletion of portal records.  However, the problem was expanded when the Edit privileges didn't allow deletion of records and you were still able to use the delete key to delete the portal row.  So, for those users who only have Edit privileges, they were still able to delete a record using the delete key.

I don't know why this issue was not included in the change documentation.  Then again, there were several thousand problems fixed, and not all of them were included.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Delete Portal Row bug
                      Ender

TSGal wrote:

The original problem allowed you to delete records, even when you didn't allow deletion of related records in the portal. 

I have not seen this problem.  What version??

TSGal wrote:

This was changed so that the delete key would only work when you allowed deletion of portal records.  However, the problem was expanded when the Edit privileges didn't allow deletion of records and you were still able to use the delete key to delete the portal row. So, for those users who only have Edit privileges, they were still able to delete a record using the delete key.

I don't think this is true.  If the privilege set does not allow Records->Delete in the portal's table, then the records can't be deleted by using the delete key (try it!)

• 8. Re: Delete Portal Row bug
                        TSGal

Ender:

From the notes, it is difficult to determine when the original problem was entered, but it occurred prior to FileMaker Pro 7.

The delete key worked when not allowing deletion of portal records in FileMaker Pro 6. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Delete Portal Row bug
                          Ender

In that case, it has long since been resolved.  So again, why the change in behavior now? Surely you can see that properly configured Records->Delete access prevents any unauthorized deleting. No need to tie Menu Access into the portal behavior.

Please send it along to the engineers as a bug, ok.