Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v5

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.8.5

Description of the issue

I have a Portal based on a Join table with allow record creation enabled. It creates the records however if I try to delete a portal row using a bottom with the Delete Portal Row script selected the delete fails until I create another record then it works ok.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I created a new file with only a few tables and no other scripts and the same problem happened.  PhilModJunk was helping me isolate the problem and he created a 3 table DB with a portal to a join table and delete portal row button.  His file exhibited the same behavior.
      Again it happens on the first attempt to use the button script. Once I either delete that record or save it and create another record it work fine.  And it continues to work as long as that file is open.  Close the file and log back in and the problem happens again.  Very easy to reproduce the problem.

Expected result

Portal row record should be deleted

Actual result

Portal Row is not deleted

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message

Configuration information

The problem does not exist if the file is run locally.  It only happens when running from a server. I'm using a hosting company who I believe is running FM 12 Server.
      The hosting company reinstalled the server software and the problem still exists.

Workaround

I have not found any

• 1. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
          TSGal

John Steady:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  Here are the steps I took:

1. In FileMaker Pro 12.0v5, under Mac OS X 10.8.5, I created a file "TEST.fmp12" with three tables as follows:

Artist
                  ID (Number ; Auto-enter Serial starting 1)
                  Name (Text)

Song
                  ID (Number ; Auto-enter Serial starting 101))
                  Title (Text)

Join
                  ID_Artist (Number)
                  ID_Song (Number)

-----

2. In the Relationships graph, I connected Artist::ID to Join::ID_Artist, and Song::ID to Join:::ID_Song

3. In the Artist table, I added four records:

ID - Name
               1 - John Lennon
               2 - Paul McCartney
               3 - George Harrison
               4 - Ringo Starr

-----

4. In the Song table, I entered the following six records:

ID - Title
               101 - I Want to Hold Your Hand
               102 - Imagine
               103 - Maybe I'm Amazed
               104 - My Sweet Lord
               105 - It Don't Come Easy
               106 - Back Off Boogaloo

-----

5. In the Join table, I entered the following nine records:

ID_Artist - ID_Song
               1 - 101
               2 - 101
               3 - 101
               4 - 101
               1 - 102
               2 - 103
               3 - 104
               4 - 105
               4 - 106

-----

6. In the Artist Layout, I added a portal into the Song table showing only the Song::Title field.

7. In the portal, I added a button to the right of the Song::Title field, I created a rectangle, and formatted it as a button to Delete Portal Row.

8. In Browse Mode, I see two rows/songs for John, Paul and George, and three rows/songs for Ringo.

9. I set the file for Network sharing, and close the file.

10. I move the file over to FileMaker Server 12, and open the file.

11. I then open the hosted file, go to the fourth artist - Ringo Starr, and click the button on the last portal row (Back Off Boogaloo).  The record is deleted.

Please let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
            john.s

I have the following tables   Schools >---- Join_Jobs >---   Jobs

In the relationship between Join_Jobs and Jobs I have enabled allow creation of records to the Join_Jobs table

I have a layout based on Jobs with a portal to Join_Jobs the portal has a field from Schools with a popup to a value list based on schools…it also has a button with delete portal row script

when I create a new record in Jobs I select a few schools in the pop up portal and new records are created in the Join_Jobs table.  If I try to delete one of those while still in that newly created Jobs record it does not work the first time.

Hopefully this helps

• 3. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
              philmodjunk

@John, are you setting up any security accounts on this file or just accessing from the admin account to open it with Full Access?

As a work around, you can use Go to Related records to pull up this record on a layout based on the portal's table and use delete record to delete it there.

• 4. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
                TSGal

John Steady:

Thank you for the additional information.

Is the record committed before the delete portal row?  Since you mention it is a script, what is the complete script?

If you want to send in a copy of your file, I'll be happy to look at it.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
                  john.s

TSGal,

The script is not a script I created it was selected from the default list of script steps in Button Setup.  The layout is set to Save Changes Automatically. I can see the records being created in the join table so I know they are there.  And as I said it works every time after the first.

I will send you one of the mini test file I created while trying to pin down the problem.  Again when you open it Add a new record select a few schools from the portal and try to delete on of the portal rows.

PhilModJunk,

I have three levels of security…I've discussed this with my son and I think our work around for now will be to tell the photographers not to make a mistake…just kidding.  I've set a new record flag and have a script attached to a button to cancel the job which deletes the job and all associated Join records.  We will tell the photographers if they add too many schools and need to delete one to just cancel the Job and re-enter it…if they mess up a second time the delete portal row will work.

• 6. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
                    philmodjunk

Please test my file with no security set up. If that works, then the issue is with the security settings rather than delete portal row.

• 7. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
                      john.s

When i tested your file yesterday I uploaded it with no security just admin full access and the problem was still there.

• 8. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
                        john.s

Phil,

If the problem does not exist when TSGal tries it from my mini file, I will upload your file to the server and send you a link and you should be able to see the problem using on your file with no security access.  Hopefully it will fail for TSGal.

• 9. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
                          philmodjunk

Just wanted to rule out the security settings as a possible factor. If you can't delete the portal row from a file that does not have any security setup, that's sufficient. I don't have to access the file to see it.

• 10. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
                            TSGal

John Steady (and PhilModJunk):

I received your file.  Thank you.

At first, I was unable to reproduce the error, as I was committing the record before clicking the "Delete Portal Row" button.  However, if I don't commit the record, then I'm able to replicate the issue.  That is, after adding a record to the portal, but before committing the current record, I then tap the "Delete Portal Row" button, and the portal record is not removed.

Our Development and Testing departments were aware of this issue in FileMaker Pro 12.  In short, a portal row based on fields more than one table away in an external file (or hosted), cannot be deleted if the current record is not committed.  This was changed in FileMaker Pro 13, and I can verify it now deletes the record before committing the record.

No additional updates to FileMaker Pro 12 are expected, so the workaround is to commit the record (click outside the portal on the layout) before clicking the Delete Portal Row button.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
                              john.s

Why does it work ok on each subsequent record that is created?   Doesn't sound like the same issue.

• 12. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
                                john.s

I just tried this again and even with committing the record it doesn't work.  The problem with finding this is if you didn't get out of the file and come back in then it will work…it only happens on the first new record created.

• 13. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
                                  TSGal

John Steady:

With the file you gave me, it fails on any record where you add a portal row and don't commit the record.  For example, in the first record, I have three related records (Old Lyme, East Lyme, and North Bradford).  If I add a related record (Notre Dame), and with the record not committed, I cannot delete the portal row for that record.  I can switch to other records, add new records, make changes, and come back to the original record, and I still cannot delete the portal row.

If I close and reopen the file, I can add another related record (Notre Dame again), and then click out of the portal to commit the current record.  I can then delete any portal row.  New records will not be affected in that current session.

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Delete Portal Row does not work on first use after opening the file
                                    john.s

I have not been creating new portal records on an existing record.  I create a new job record and on that record create three portal records and even if I commit the record I can not delete a portal row on that job record.  If I create another Job record I can add and delete portal records without committing the record.  I think you are adding a portal record to an existing job...something our photographers will not be doing.  They will always be creating a new job and filling in schools and all the other info that is on the real layout..

1 2 Previous Next