Delete Portal Row script step occasionally fails

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMPA12v3

Operating system version

Windosw XP SP3

Description of the issue

The Delete Portal Row script step occasionally starts failing to work. Restarting FileMaker Pro fixes the problem.
      Running script under full access checkbox has no effect.

File is served OSX 10.8.2 FMSA 12.0.2.232

Steps to reproduce the problem

Irregular, cannot induce.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None. Just fails to execute.

Workaround

Restart FMPA.

• 1. Re: Delete Portal Row script step occasionally fails
          philmodjunk

Have you seen this happen in more than one file?

I have a number of portals with scripts that use this step and I have yet to see this happen--also using Windows XP.

• 2. Re: Delete Portal Row script step occasionally fails
            SteveGerow

Phil,

I've been developing in Filemaker 20 years on hundreds of projects and have never had the 'delete portal row' script step fail before.

So far have only one project going in 12, but have taken scrupulous care of the file. FM 12 has crashed a number of times for various reasons. I've always switched to a clean backup after a crash.

My PC almost never crashes using other versions of FM.

Are you developing in a hosted environment?

• 3. Re: Delete Portal Row script step occasionally fails
              philmodjunk

I started with FileMaker 2.5 on a Mac LC with a "huge" 40 MB hard drive.

I haven't gone full bore with FileMaker 12 due to the many bugs. I have, as a test bed, converted the Known Bugs List to Fmp 12 format. It has a number of portals in it with buttons that perform a script that uses the delete portal row step to delete the portal row. So far, I haven't encountered any issues with delete portal row.

This is a single user file, it is not hosted.

I suggest creating a small test file, with some portals from scratch and trying it out to see if the issue occurs in this test file. That's really the only way to rule out potential file issues with any certainty no matter how careful you are with your file. (And such details need to be reported or they become the first thing a FileMaker tech will ask you so better to be able to report from the get go that this possibility has been ruled out.)

I must also note that there have been a few reports of issues with delete portal row in older versions:

For More Information see:     Delete portal row issue

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 4. Re: Delete Portal Row script step occasionally fails
                SteveGerow

FM12 feels buggy compared to any of the previous versions. My scratch-built project is not unusable - in fact the users are very happy with it.

I've reviewed the latest KnownBugs file before posting above. Am adding my bug-encounters to this forum in order to add to the number of times it's reported - like police reports.

I may consider making a portal test file but doubt if it would make a difference because the file wouldn't get used that much. This file is a couple of months old.

• 5. Re: Delete Portal Row script step occasionally fails
                  philmodjunk

FM12 feels buggy compared to any of the previous versions.

If you open the Known Bugs List thread, click the link to the last page and then click back one page at a time, you might find reason to feel that way...

Yours is the first report that I've seen of this issue for FileMaker 12, the link that I posted previously includes some technical info from FileMaker about known situations where delete portal row can fail--that's why I posted that link. Do any of those situations apply to your database system?

• 6. Re: Delete Portal Row script step occasionally fails
                    SteveGerow

Thanks for the link - it was very useful. I posted there wondering if auto-record creation in a relationship is the real problem as I've never used it before.

Thanks again for pointing me over there.

• 7. Re: Delete Portal Row script step occasionally fails
                      jcooper

I've had this happen as well. Thought I was losing my mind for a while. If I can get it to happen again I will try to take a screen recording and post.  Had a portal, sorted but not filtered, relationship set to allow creation of new related records.  The portal in which it happened had one row of data plus the blank  "new record" row with a button in each row in each row scripted for deleting. Tried deleting the row (yes, the one with data) and it simply did not go away.  It was the end of the day and my head hurt so I shut down, came back next next and it worked ok, so looks like one of those (gotta-love-em) inconsistant, patternless bugs.  At least for me.

Jeff

• 8. Re: Delete Portal Row script step occasionally fails
                        SteveGerow

Jeff,

See more comprehensive discussion at this link provided by PMJ above:

Delete portal row issue

Problem's been around for quite a while and I wonder if it's tied to auto-record creation in portal relationships.