delete script

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11 Trial

Operating system version

win 7

Description of the issue

I created a button on my layout with the settings to delete record. When I hit this button it gives me the warning do I really want to delete this record. Sometimes when I hit ok it will delete the record, other times it will delete all the found records. I can't find any reason for it to do this so I think its a bug.

• 1. Re: delete script
          philmodjunk

Do you have the delete option enabled on a table occurrence of related records in Manage | Database | Relationships? That option can produce a "cascading delete" where deleting one record deletes all matching records in a related table and this can domino over multiple relationships. In a self join relationship, this option can delete records in the same table.

• 2. Re: delete script
            NickiGarrett

That sounds like exactly what is happening. What is the best way to avoid this?

• 3. Re: delete script
              philmodjunk

Don't use that option without first carefully examining the results that will be produced when you delete a record. When in doubt, don't specify that option. This is a specific setting in the relationship dialog that pops up when you double click a relationship line between two table occurrences. It's very useful when properly used, very dangerous when improperly set up... It's not the default setting so you won't have an issue with it unless you specifically select that option.

• 4. Re: delete script
                NickiGarrett

Ok, I've found the problem. Thank you so much, I thought it was a bug.