Summary

Dependent list in a Find does not work

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I have an Items list that is created based on the entry in the related Substance field.

I have a SUBSTANCE file with a CATEGORY field  that is related to an ITEMS file by the Items Category field.

I use this relationship to create a Use Items List that has items based on the Substance Category  chosen.

This works fine during data entry but fails in a Find (the Items drop down is blank i.e. did not get the Category entered in the FInd).

I presume the problem is either a bug or a value in a Find is not the same as an entered value.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create two files and relate by a Category Field (Substance and Items). The Items file has Category and Item fields.

The Items Value List is created based on related values in the Substance file Category field, providing a subset of the Items that have the same Category value

Expected result

I would have expected the Item drop down would work in a Find just as it does during data entry

Actual result

Item dropdown in FInd is blank after entering Cateory value in find for the Substance Category

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error - just a blank drop down

Workaround

none

FM_Entry_%26_Find.jpg

• 1. Re: Dependent list in a Find does not work
          philmodjunk

Is this based on a "use values from field" value list with the "include only related values..." option specified?

And is the match field (substance?) a calculation field or a data field?

I have a SUBSTANCE file with a CATEGORY field that is related to an ITEMS file...

Does this mean that you have two FileMaker files with an external data source reference from one file to another in order to link a table in the substance file to a table in the items file? Or did you mean to say that you have two tables in the same file?

• 2. Re: Dependent list in a Find does not work
            SeligL14FM

Hi PhilModJunk

Thanks for your reply.

I do indeed "use value from field" using related values only.

The Substance category field is a plain data field  (not a calculation field) with a Value List derived from same file Items, using the Category field.

Since the Item popup depends on the value in the Substance Category filed it seems that entering the Categroy in the Sunstance field but  in s FIND is not seen as a value as it is during data entry

Regards & thanks

Sel

• 3. Re: Dependent list in a Find does not work
              philmodjunk

You didn't answer all my questions. The details are important in order for I or a TS person in order to fully replicate your set up for testing purposes.

I have a SUBSTANCE file with a CATEGORY field that is related to an ITEMS file...

Does this mean that you have two FileMaker files with an external data source reference from one file to another in order to link a table in the substance file to a table in the items file? Or did you mean to say that you have two tables in the same file?

Using the more typical set up of two tables in the same file, I ran the following test:

I opened up a copy of "Adventures in FileMaking #1 - Conditional Value LIsts", went to the Basic Conditional Value Lists exploration layout and entered Find mode. I found that I could select a category from the category field and then the list of values in the conditional value list fields (formatted with a conditional value list like what you describe here) displays related values as expected and I was able to use a value selected from the conditional value list to find a record.

The only thing that did not appear were fields from the related value table while in find mode and this is expected behavior--so this might be an issue with your layout design if you are hiding a drop down list field behind a name field from the related table.

So I am unable to replicate this behavior in FileMaker 13 on a Windows 7 machine.

• 4. Re: Dependent list in a Find does not work
                SeligL14FM

Hi PhilModJunk

Thanks again for your comments.

I apologize for not answering clearly.

I have ONE Database File and should have used the term Tables for Substance and Items.

I've attached the relationship setup as well as the way I set up the Category and Items Value Lists.

You are in the CALL Table, and via a portal enter a SUBSTANCE Category and based on that Category (via an ITEMS Category List the Value list in the Substance Items field get the Value list form the relation with the SUBSTANCE Category - PLEASE REFER TO ATTACHED IMAGE )

I verified that it works fine in data entry but Item Value list is blank in a Find.

Thanks

Regards

Selig

• 5. Re: Dependent list in a Find does not work
                  SeligL14FM

Sorry I added the Relationship graph (SEE ATTACHED)

• 6. Re: Dependent list in a Find does not work
                    philmodjunk

I suspect that the portal and thus more complex set of relationships are at issue here. My test replicates what would happen if you were on a layout based on Substances rather than Call.

While it's not the issue you report here, note also that a find performed on a Call based layout with criteria specified in Substances may not produce the results that you expect. As such a find finds Call record, not Substance records and won't directly affect what records appear in the portal to substances.

• 7. Re: Dependent list in a Find does not work
                      SeligL14FM

I think you are correct - may be more a RELATED field does not work.

When I search on the related SUBSTANCES from the CALL Table (Substances are in a a portal) the FInd shows the blank related Value List. Same if I place the related fields directly on the form.

BUT, when I do a Find DIRECTLY from the SUBSTANCE Table, the Value Lists work correctly in BOTH the Data Entry and Find modes.

So it seems if you working on RELATED FIELDS, The list dependency does not work from the Parent file.

BUT - Should this work? Is it a BUG?

BTW in the example you sent, the Find shows <no values defined> in the Hierarchical Conditional VL II but not the plain Hierarchical Conditional VL  (latter works fine)

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Selig

• 8. Re: Dependent list in a Find does not work
                        philmodjunk

Whether it's a bug or not I leave up to the folks that cash paychecks from FileMaker to determine.

BTW in the example you sent, the Find shows <no values defined> in the Hierarchical Conditional VL II but not the plain Hierarchical Conditional VL  (latter works fine)

Given how I designed those two sets of CVLs, I'm not surprised that this is the case.

• 9. Re: Dependent list in a Find does not work
                          TSGal

Selig Leyser:

Thank you for your posts.

When you enter Find mode for the current table, you can use a value list for any table.  However, when specifying a value list based on related records only, then the table must be no more than one table occurrence away in the relationship.  In your example, the CALL table is the primary table that you are searching.  The SUBSTANCES table is one table away in the relationship, and the SPECIFIC USES table is two table occurrences away.  Since the SPECIFIC USES value list is based on related records only, it will try to take it from the preceding SUBSTANCES table, and since no records are found at this point (since layout is based on CALL records), a blank value list is displayed.  As you have discovered, if you make the layout based on the SUBSTANCES table, then the SPECIFIC USES value list will then display properly.

I recommend that you enter your suggestion/example into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file that is monitored by Product Management and Development.  Every entry is discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  I know I can copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are a couple of questions asked on the web form that only you can answer.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.