Summary

Disappearing global fields in Headers

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v4

Operating system version

Description of the issue

A global field placed in the Header of a List layout will be visible and function normally when in Browse or Layout modes but disappear when in Preview mode.  This is actually an illusion.  What really happens is that the opaque text box becomes transparent when going into Preview mode, and if the default text color matches the color of the header, it will seem to disappear.  This can be proven by changing the text color of the global field to something that will show up against the Header background color.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a new layout (I have only tested this with a List layout using Warm Blue theme)
      Create a global field in the header
      Verify that it acts normally in Browse mode
      Switch to Preview mode ... the field will disappear
      Go back into Layout mode and change the global field's text color (to Red in my case)
      Return to Preview mode and the text will show up but without the opaque field around it

Expected result

I expect Preview mode to faithfully reproduce Browse mode except for non-printing elements which the Developer chooses

Actual result

The opaque region for the global field disappears when going into Preview mode

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages

Configuration information

I have had someone replicate the problem with a Windows system running FileMaker Advanced

Workaround

Workaround #1 -- change the text color to something other than the Header background.  The flaw to this workaround is that you will lose the opaque field region so Browse mode won't look like Preview mode or a printed version of the layout.

Workaround #2 -- add a text item to the Header with Insert Merge Field so the global field contents show up as pure text on the layout in whatever color you wish.  The flaw to this workaround is that you can't change the value of the field directly once it is pure text