Disappearing Invisible Buttons

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11

Operating system version

Windows XP Professional SP2

Description of the issue

Does anyone remember in older versions of FM how, if a field on a layout lost its connection how the field when clicked in layout mode would simply disappear?  Well, buttons do that as well.  Normally if you want an invisible button, you use a rectangle but, since conditional formatting, we are using invisible buttons so they can be used as backgrounds and turn color.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a button but don't specify text on it and don't attach a script or button.  Set the button to transparent fill and transparent line. Place it behind fields and merge fields on a list.  You want to double-click a field to re-specify field or double-click a merge field to modify it but you accidently click only the button instead.

Expected result

Cursor enters the button to allow text. We have discussed in another thread how this happens but here is the issue ... You realize you have entered the background object used to hold your conditional formatting for the line so you de-select (click layout where no object exists). Result expected is to exit the button but leave the button where it was.

Actual result

Your background conditional format object disappears. And one cannot Edit > Undo.  Of course you can go back to Browse mode without saving your layout but you then lose your other work during that session.  Worse still, there is possibility that you won't see it disappear because it is invisible (the conditional format indicator may be hidden behind other objects).

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages.

Workaround

Put a space in the button.  But we shouldn't have to. Buttons are NOT text - they are objects and they should stay until we delete them.

As an aside, I like the new bug forum method of posting.  And allowing an upload is greatly appreciated as well.  Thank you, FMI.

• 1. Re: Disappearing Invisible Buttons
          mikewson

I verify this happens.  Good catch.  If you designate the button to anything BUT transparent, it doesn't go away. The 'go away' only happens if the button object is completely transparent with no text. So, maybe the designers are assuming that we would want to have the layout 'clean-up itself'.  Since we use buttons with conditional formatting (and they will always be transparent) this should be designated as a bug. 

• 2. Re: Disappearing Invisible Buttons
            SBerger

It doesn't do that on Mac. It's a bug I would say.

• 3. Re: Disappearing Invisible Buttons
              TSGal

LaRetta:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate this on both Windows and Mac.

The initial report I received is if no action is attached to the button, then it is not a button but a text object and behaves as such.  If the text has no properties (no content, no background color, etc. ), it disappears.  If an action is associated with the button, then it will not disappear.

I have forwarded your comments along with those from "Mike Williamson" regarding conditional formatting.  Until I receive additional information, the workaround of entering a space is required.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Disappearing Invisible Buttons
                LaRetta_1

Thank you for responding.

TSGal said, "If an action is associated with the button, then it will not disappear."

I would think that adding conditional formatting to a button is an action particularly since conditional formatting can declare variables.

In meantime, we can add a space or use text label and add a space but it would be good if it was mentioned in Knowledge Base so people are aware of it.