Summary

Disconnected users do not automatically re-connect

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

Disconnected users do not automatically re-connect to a data source.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Context is data/interface separation.
      2 files hosted on the server.
      Data file is ONLY a data repository. All used layouts and scripts are in interface file.
      Security policy is that all users log in data file with the default account (file options).
      We set up the server to disconnect users after 1h idle time, assuming that scripts attempting to write to data file would reconnect the user to the file, like it does on first attempt.
      But that is not true. The file is completely closed until the users close their sessions and start a new one.

Expected result

Users should be reconnected automatically, using the same authentication method and rules than on first open.

Actual result

file is closed, causing errors 18 and 200.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

it depends (still didn't find why one was thrown or the other)
      - Unkown Error 18
      - Your privilege access... (200)

Workaround

- perform a simple script in the data file from time to time to keep the connection active. Poor.
      - increase the disconnection delay (against best practices)

• 1. Re: Disconnected users do not automatically re-connect
          TSGal

FabriceN:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

If a file times out and disconnects, you will need to reopen it.  To do otherwise could cause a security risk.  Since you can trap for the error (200), you can then issue an Open File script command and then proceed with the remainder of the script.

Or, are you saying that the Open File script command is not working after a disconnect?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Disconnected users do not automatically re-connect
            fabricen

Hi,

I think the security risk is exactly the same when you first open the file: FileMaker assumes that if your Account Name / Password exists in the second file, you're the guy, and it allows you to open the second file implicitely.

I don't understand why REconnecting would represent a greater security risk.

If you reconnect by performing a script in the second file, it works great. Why would set field be unsecure and not perform script or open file ?

So sorry, I don't take the security argument.

• 3. Re: Disconnected users do not automatically re-connect
              TSGal

FabriceN:

Sorry for the confusion on my part as I was understanding this a bit differently.  After rereading your original post, trying some things here and discussing this with another support agent, I agree that the file should open again when referenced after being disconnected.  I have submitted the information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  I will keep you posted.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Disconnected users do not automatically re-connect
                fabricen

Hello again,

thanks for the update. Yes, I really think this is a FM11 only issue, and I wonder how developers who use separation model extensively (I don't) can live with it.

Thank you for submitting to Q/A.

• 5. Re: Disconnected users do not automatically re-connect
                  philmodjunk

I wonder how developers who use separation model extensively (I don't) can live with it.

Not sure why this would be an issue specific to a separation model.

Both front and back end files can be hosted from the server and in many cases, not allowing idle users to be disconnected works just fine. (I know, it depends on how many users you might have.)

• 6. Re: Disconnected users do not automatically re-connect
                    TSGal

FabriceN:

Our Testing department is having difficulty reproducing the problem, and they would like copies of your two files.  Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for additional instructions.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.