3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 9:29 AM by TSGal

Documentation missing: maximum number of OR or NOT (Omit) queries

MartinBrändle

Summary

Documentation missing: maximum number of OR or NOT (Omit) queries

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved All FileMaker Pro and Advanced versions 7-10FMS and FMS Advanced 9 and 10  Operating System(s) involvedall OS compliant with FM products given above Detailed description of the issueWhat is the maximum number of OR or NOT (Omit) queries that can be specified in FileMaker? And specifically, what is the maximum number of AND/OR/NOT requests that can be specified in a compound query in Custom Web Publishing (see FMS10 Custom Web Publishing with PHP Guide, p. 38 and FMS10 Custom Web Publishing with XML and XSLT, p. 90 and p. 96)? I haven't found anything in the Technical Specifications for FileMaker (http://www.thefmkb.com/7061) or the FM Help.   Expected ResultUpdate of KB article 7061.  Please post the actual limitations in this forum. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Documentation missing: maximum number of OR or NOT (Omit) queries
          MartinBrändle

TSGal,

before you ask what I would like to accomplish with many web requests :smileywink:, let me explain some situations where many web requests may be necessary:

- a situation where a user stores found sets in a history and later wants to combine those sets by boolean logic; then the record ids must be combined to a new query (another way would be to combine the stored queries, but that may fail)

- a situation where a user manually picks records in a found set and wants to use them for another action; then individual record numbers must be queried

Best regards,

Martin 

• 2. Re: Documentation missing: maximum number of OR or NOT (Omit) queries
            MartinBrändle

TSGal,

tests by Allan Hunter (see Techtalk list) have shown that with the client, several 10'000 requests can be submitted in a compound query. So no problem there.

However, the story is different for Custom Web Publishing, as my tests show. The limitation is set by the maximum length of the query URL, which for a HTTP GET seems to be 1024 characters.

This limits the number of requests for an OR compound query to a maximum of about 30, depending on the string length of the individual query values. 

Test files can be downloaded here

The funny thing is that the test runs through even for 100 requests and all query URLs are logged in the web server log, but the CWP does not respond with a result set or an error message if the length of the GET request is exceeded. 

This size limit of 1024 for a GET request is too low to write an efficient algorithm for the situations depicted in the previous post.  

Is there any way to set allowed URL size for a GET request in the web server or the Tomcat part of the Web Publishing Engine, or is this hardcoded in the Web Publishing Engine?

Best regards,

Martin 

• 3. Re: Documentation missing: maximum number of OR or NOT (Omit) queries
              TSGal

Martin Brändle:

Thank you for the explanation and example.

I have forwarded the entire thread along with the sample file(s) to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  When I receive more information and/or an answer to your question, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.