4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2010 10:29 AM by TSGal

Does FM 11 have a frame issue? that results in the user needing to double click?

dthompsonaz

Summary

Does FM 11 have a frame issue? that results in the user needing to double click?

Description of the issue

When user's attempt to modify a current record, the system acts as though the user has clicked out of the frame, even though the the pull down menu/and or the curser is still in the active field and  you can manipulate the field.  However the user must click a second time to get the the data to become "accepted" and the frame reverts to, as I would call, an active window. The problem does not seem to be related to server as the issue existed with both FMS 10 and FMS11.  It appears to only occur when using FMP 11.   FM11 on both PPC 10.5.8 and Intel 10.6.2/3 all machines meet min specs.  Work around has been to revert back to FM10.  

• 1. Re: Does FM 11 have a frame issue? that results in the user needing to double click?
          Steve Wright

On mac there definitely seems to be some issues with 'active windows' I constantly find myself having to click a window (or area in the window)  twice but have not really thought much about it..

I have not really noticed it during data entry though.

The same is true for things like the data viewer, script editor etc (but this has previously been reported) the windows are not focusing as they should.    On windows however, this doesn't appear to be a problem for me.

• 2. Re: Does FM 11 have a frame issue? that results in the user needing to double click?
            TSGal

dthompsonaz:

Thank you for your post.

Do you have a way to reproduce this scenario consistently?  How many windows do you have open?  What were you doing just prior to this occurring?  If you cannot replicate this consistently, can you describe what other objects are on the Layout?  That is, portals, graphics, fields, etc.

"SWS" is correct.  There have been similar issues reported with Data Viewer and Script Editor with the correct window not being the focus, and your issue may be related.

All of these window focus issues occur with FileMaker Pro 11 running on Mac OS.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Does FM 11 have a frame issue? that results in the user needing to double click?
              dthompsonaz

Hi TSGal, thanks for the response and questions.  I have looked at the issue with several windows open and with only one window.  It happens all the time with this specific database, since migrating to FM11 clients.  Last night just to better understand the problem, I launched Windows XP, using VM ware on my my MacBookPro.  In that situation running under windows, the issue did not occur.  

Going back to the Mac environment, I looked at several fields that had active pull downs, or calendars for data entry. The issue is very reproducible.  Fields that use radio buttons or check boxes do act normally, i.e. the layout window remains "active" and do not require a second click.

Just now I opened another database that is directly on my machine.  It does act the same way, what I noticed though was in this database the pull down menus are far more extensive and the "slide bar" on the right side of the field frame appears, while the layout frame "slide bar" goes inactive. Unlike with FM9, the scroll function works in FM11.   These fields appear to act more like I would expect.  Fields with very limited choices that do not self generate the "slide bar" still cause the layout slide bar to go inactive, but it seems to act odd, i.e. requiring a "second" click to get the layout to go active again.    

• 4. Re: Does FM 11 have a frame issue? that results in the user needing to double click?
                TSGal

dthompsonaz:

Thanks for the additional information.

I was able to see the difference with the scroll bar being grayed out, but the focus was still on the window.  However,  it did lead me to a possible related issue.

I have two Text fields on my layout.  The first field is a standard entry Text field, the second field contains a drop down list.  In FileMaker Pro 10, if I click on the second field, the drop-down list appears.  If I decide I don't want to select a value, I can click on the first field and the first field becomes active.  However, in FileMaker Pro 11, with the drop-down list appearing in the second field, if I click the first field, the drop down list disappears, but the focus remains in the second field.  Therefore, I have to click the first field again to make it active.

I have forwarded your post along with my findings to Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.