Does not display a Mac Grab picture in container field using windows 7

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

windows 7 home premium (64 bit)

Description of the issue

When using Windows 7 Filemaker 11, pictures in a container field cannot be displayed if inserted in the mac version and viewed in Windows version. I think the pictures are Mac Grab shots of screen items, copied and pasted into the container field.

Steps to reproduce the problem

On Mac copy and paste Grab images into container field. then view on Windows PC.

Expected result

Abilty to view picture.

Actual result

Error message.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Quicktime and a decompressor are needed to see this picture.

Configuration information

mac running OS 10.5.8.

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: Does not display a Mac Grab picture in container field using windows 7
          philmodjunk

Is quicktime installed on the windows machine?

Any way to tell what file format is used for the image? (Try exporting it by using export field contents on a mac and see what get info tells you.)

If you can figure out the file format, you can look up Container fields in FileMaker help and check to see if that format is supported on Windows.

• 2. Re: Does not display a Mac Grab picture in container field using windows 7
            KarenBovenmyer
            Same issue here, database was made by my boss on a Mac. She saved it to the server, I open it and it does not display the images. I can right-click and export the contents (untitled.pct) to my desktop, and it opens with QuickTime no problem. Any solution yet?
            Summary:
            Does not display a Mac picture in container field using windows 7
            Product:
            FileMaker Pro
            Version:
            11.0v3
            Operating system version:
            windows 7 home premium (64 bit)
            Description of the issue:
            When using Windows 7 Filemaker 11, pictures in a container field cannot be displayed if inserted in the mac version and viewed in Windows version. 
            Exact text of any error message(s) that appear:
            Quicktime and a decompressor are needed to see this picture.
            • 3. Re: Does not display a Mac Grab picture in container field using windows 7
              RobertHinton

Hi karen,

I just gave up and got used to not viewing pictures. Though it was not all pictures. I could not remember the scenrario of how I copied immages into Mac containers. Either by dragging, or copy/paste, and where I go them from, several versions of Internet based engines. This has come up again as I am now using my Macbook Pro with a wifi range extender as Airport is almost dead. The Mac is running OS 10.6, whereas my main Mac runs 10.5.

And trying to crack help from Filemaker is not easy. I suppose it is cheaper to let users answer other user questions.

• 4. Re: Does not display a Mac Grab picture in container field using windows 7
                TSGal

Robert Hinton:

Thank you for your posts.

I no longer have access to a Mac OS X 10.5.x machine, so I cannot use Mac Grab utility.  If I recall correctly, the file type created is .png (as it is now with command-4 beginning with Mac OS X 10.6), and .png files should definitely display in a Container field.

Try clicking the Container field, pull down the Insert menu, select Picture..., and select the file.  Make sure you embed the file.

If this still doesn't appear in FileMaker Pro 11 on Windows, try moving the file to the Windows machine and try inserting from there.  Does this work?

PICT (.pct) files should also display on Mac and Windows.

Karen Bovenmyer:

Thank you for your post.

Please also follow the above steps with your PICT file.  Currently, FileMaker Pro 11 on Windows is not recognizing it as a PICT file, as it is asking for QuickTime to be loaded.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Does not display a Mac Grab picture in container field using windows 7
                  KarenBovenmyer

Thanks TSGal, this did not work. I used "export field contents" and saved the picture to my desktop. I can open it from my desktop with Quicktime. I used "insert picture" and still get the "QuickTime and a decompressor are needed to see this picture."

I tried resaving the PICT as a JPEG, but Adobe Photoshop won't open it, only QuckTime.  Isn't there an update that can be done to Filemaker Pro 11 that includes a PICT decompressor? Is this resolved in Filemaker Pro 12?

This is my first time using Filemaker Pro--our office is considering switching from Microsoft Access to Filemaker Pro so both PC and Mac users can access the same databases. I am hesitant to recommend our office change to this software because of this issue.

• 6. Re: Does not display a Mac Grab picture in container field using windows 7
                    KarenBovenmyer

Filemaker Pro 12 has resolved this issue for me! I can see all the images.