Summary

Double click to enter data; bug or feature

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX 10.6.8

Description of the issue

Upgraded from FileMaker 6 to FileMaker 11 with a scientific data base; 100+ fields with popup data entry; in the older versions of FileMaker I could enter data randomly; i. e. I entered data in a field, then it moved to the next field with a popup window, but since I have so many fields & only enter data in 20-30% of the fields I could click on any other field & enter the data. In FileMaker 11 I now have to click on any new field twice to enter data, with lots fields & data this doubles the input time. I can't seem to find any setting that changes this back to allow random entry; Help this is a real pain!

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message

• 1. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
          philmodjunk

What happens with the first click? Nothing or do you see the value list pop up and disappear?

Do you have any issues with fields that are simple edit boxes (no field formatting)?

• 2. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
            JayH.Beckstead

With the 1st click, the popup box that opened automatically, disappears leaving the cursor blinking in the field; so it would all work fine if I had a data base that required all fields to be filled in order, but that is not the case. If by "simple edit boxes" you mean text boxes without popup windows, they require 2 clicks if they are chosen after one with a popup lists, i. e. identically; but if you are entering into a text box & then move to a field with a popup window it opens with a single click.

• 3. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
              philmodjunk

I've seen cases, especially in converted files, where you click on a drop down list and it drops down and then pops back up and the user then has to click to re-deploy the drop down. But this has been only on rare occaisons and not consistently enough for me to file a bug report. Haven't had any issues of this sort with edit box fields. (Enter layout mode and select a field, if it is not formatted with a value list, it will be shown as an "edit box" on the inspector's data tab--could be any data type, this just describes the appearance and function of the field on the layout.)

Try creating a new layout and add just a few fields from your table to it. Do not copy and paste them from the current layout, use the field tool instead. Format at least one field with your drop down list or pop up menu and leave at least one as an edit box.

Enter browse mode and see if you get the same behavior on this layout. This will tell us if there might be an issue with your layout. (Layouts can be corrupted so we need to rule out that possibility.)

• 4. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
                JayH.Beckstead

Unfortunately, I have been using FileMaker for many years so the data is valuable. Most of the files contain thousands of records, one more than 10K. So making a new database & re-entering all of the data is not a very viable solution. I have 6 active data bases and they all behave the same way when converted. 

• 5. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
                  philmodjunk

I am not suggesting that you discard your current database, just run some tests to see if it will narrow down the problem. It might be as simple as replacing a single layout with a new version--which is a lot less work than replacing the entire database.

• 6. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
                    JayH.Beckstead

Well, I built a new simple layout with similar features. It does exactly the same thing.

I then built a simple similar layout from scatch; when I use the Inspector - Behavior tab - "go to next object using" and uncheck all the boxes, I get the behavior I want, i. e. I can enter data in any order with one click which brings up the popup menu.

I then took my existing data base selected all of the fields, went to the Inspector & did the same thing, unchecked all of the boxes; the behavior does not change , it still follows the tab order & requires 2 clicks; I thought maybe it hadn't really taken the change, but when I go back to layout & open the inspector, the go to next object boxes are all unchecked.

Any other ideas.

• 7. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
                      philmodjunk

You shouldn't need to uncheck the "go to next object" option for all three keys to get the behavior you want. Don't really see how that would make any difference here if you are always entering fields by mouse click, since this action controls what will happen when you press a specific key.

But since a new file does not appear to have the same issues as your original file, try this: Launch FileMaker without opening the file and run a recover on it to see if any issues are reported by the recover process. Even if no problems are found, test the recovered copy to see if you get the same behavior.

• 8. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
                        JayH.Beckstead

Exactly the same; recover found no errors

• 9. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
                          philmodjunk

Care to share the file so that others can take a closer look?

You can use save a copy as to save a clone (empty of data) of your database and then upload that clone to a file sharing site. Then post the download link here.

I'm curious to see if I can replicate the issue on my systems here.

• 10. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
                            JayH.Beckstead

I keep hoping there is some setting that can be changed, but it is begining to look like that is not the case. you can find the file here: https://files.me.com/jhbeckstead/owckfi

• 11. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
                              philmodjunk

I have downloaded the file to a Windows 7 system and the fields and drop down value lists behaved exactly as I would expect them to. If I click on a field with drop down list, the list drops down and I can then click a value in the list to select it. If I click in a field that does not have a drop down list, the cursor appears in the field and I can start typing in data.

OS 10.6 on 10.7 have had known issues with fonts. I wouldn't think this is a case of that issue, but just to see if it makes a difference, try changing the fonts for a few of these fields and see if that changes the behavior of the fields.

• 12. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
                                JayH.Beckstead

Actually, that isn't the problem. The the first click into a field with or without a drop down always works perfectly. The problem comes when entering data in multiple fields. After entering data in a dropdown list, it jumps to the next field, I believe in the order of the field list, if that is not the field you need, the problem is, it requires 2 clicks to get into the next field. Given the number of fields & the variety of markers to be entered, entering the data never follows the field order.

• 13. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
                                  philmodjunk

Tab order can be set by entering layout mode and selecting Set Tab Order from the layouts menu.

• 14. Re: Double click to enter data; bug or feature
                                    JayH.Beckstead

Sorry, you still don't quite understand. A new record has the data at the top entered generally in order, but the boxes below get from 1 to 20 or more results entered. Each case is different, so you almost never go in a set order. Try entering 10 pieces of data with the drop down menus, selecting them at random and you should see the problem, i.e. you must click twice to enter a new field rather than once. I do appreciate that you are trying to help me.

1 2 Previous Next