Summary

Double clicking in container fields no longer opens files

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7, Server 2008, OS X Lion

Description of the issue

Filemaker 12 does not allow files stored in containers to be opened by double clicking the file.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Upgraded databases from V11 to V12 and none of our many (very many) container fields open by double clicking the file stored inside.  Also, new databases created using V12 do not support double clicking files stored inside containers.

Expected result

I expected files stored inside of container fields to open when double clicking the file.  This is how it worked in V11.  We expected to have additional functionality when upgrading to V12, not less functionality.

Actual result

Files stored in containers no longer open when double clicking the file.  Apparently this feature has been removed.

Configuration information

Our databases are very dependent on using lots of container fields.  We must have the ability to double click a file stored in a container field and open it directly, not exporting to our desktops and opening it from our computers.  This takes way too much time and adds too much work for the number of container fields we use.  The interactive PDF containers are nice, but we also use pictures, Word, Excel, and many other file types.

• 1. Re: Double clicking in container fields no longer opens files
          philmodjunk

I still open files in FMP 12 by double clicking the container field using Windows XP and would expect this to also work with Windows 7. I don't have a mac so i can't check for behavior changes on that platform.

There are key details, however, that can keep a file from opening when it is inserted into a container field:

1) It must be inserted with the "store a reference" option.

2) It must be inserted with the Insert File menu option. For reasons unkown, this doesn't work (Not in 12, not in earlier versions) if Insert Picture were used to insert the file into the container field.

3) With FileMaker 12, you have a new limitation in that the container field cannot be optimized for interactive content.

Do you find that the same limitations apply on Mac?

• 2. Re: Double clicking in container fields no longer opens files
            greenex

I haven't tested all of those on a Mac, but I know some of them don't work in Windows 7.

Right clicking and choosing "Insert File" yields the same result: double click doesn't work.

I'm not sure how the "store as reference" would work.  Our databases are hosted on a Filemaker Server machine, then multiple clients connect to the databases.  They all have to be able to get to the file regardless if the computer that added the file to the container is on or not.

The interactive content is actually really nice for PDF files, but we also use Word documents, Excel files, email files, etc.

• 3. Re: Double clicking in container fields no longer opens files
              philmodjunk

If you do not select "store as reference" you cannot open the file by double clicking the container. This is true for earlier versions of FileMaker as well as version 12. When you double click the container, FileMaker passes the location of the file to your computer's operating system and causes it to open the file. If you do not use Store a reference, there is no file path to send to the operating system. (But this doesn't explain why "store a reference" files inserted as a picture cannot be opened--never have figured out the why to that limitation.)

Files inserted with the store a reference file have to be stored on the server and inserted from there. They must be located in a folder that is shared and accessible to all clients that need to see/open that file with the same file path stored in the container file. This requires mapping/mounting the shared folder with the same filepath as that used in the container file.

It often helps to set up a script where a file is first inserted without the store a reference reference and then the script uses export field contents to export the file to the shared directory and then re-inserts it with the store a reference option from that shared location.

It's also possible to open any file inserted into a container field by all of these methods if you use Export Field Contents to export a copy of the field to a specified location on the user's computer--such as the temporary items folder. The main limitations to this approach is if the user needs to open the file, edit it and then save the changes back to the copy in the container field, the edited copy on the user's computer would have to be re-inserted after the edits are made and saved.

• 4. Re: Double clicking in container fields no longer opens files
                greenex

I have not experienced that situation.  In Filemaker 11, we would use our FMP11 clients to drag and drop files into a container field, then we were able to double click the file and open it.  The database was hosted by Filemaker Server 11.  No shared volumes were setup, files weren't inserted into containers by the machine running FMS11, no special scripts.  It was as simple as drag, drop, double click.  Thats it.

• 5. Re: Double clicking in container fields no longer opens files
                  philmodjunk

In Filemaker 11, we would use our FMP11 clients to drag and drop files into a container field, then we were able to double click the file and open it.

As I best recall, you could do this on Windows, but not on Mac systems, that's why I didn't mention this change as you indicated the problem was also on mac systems.

The windows version of FIleMaker 11 supports OLE (object linking and embedding), so files could be inserted as an "Object". Items inserted by drag and drop were inserted as objects and could be opened by double clicking but could not be exported from the field, your ONLY option for getting a copy of the file was to double click the container field--a major drawback when you get large number of files inserted via this method and discover that you need to export them as a batch. If I remember previous posts on this subject correctly, drag and drop for container fields was not supported in the Mac version of FileMaker 11.

FileMaker 12 no longer supports Insert Object or OLE. Instead, drag and drop now works on both platforms, but it is the equivalent of Insert File with the "save a reference" option not selected and thus a binary copy of the file is inserted into the field. A simple script can be used to export the field contents and open the file, but since the file is not inserted as an object, you can't open via double clicking the container field.

• 6. Re: Double clicking in container fields no longer opens files
                    KenGremillion

I scripted an "open container field" with a very simple one-liner for embedded files of any kind. it worked great in FM11 but not in FM12. I had advised two small businesses to use FM 12 but have since retracted the recommendation. I am having lots of conversion problems. I would still recommend that people buy FM 11, but filemaker has, in very poor judgement, removed FM 11 from their store.

• 7. Re: Double clicking in container fields no longer opens files
                      Markus Schneider

Try to use the temporary path (get function) - maybe FM12 won't deal with the '.trash' path (can't test it by myself since I got only the iPad here at the moment)

• 8. Re: Double clicking in container fields no longer opens files
                        KenGremillion

Thanks for that Markus. This seems to work:

{error capture on}

Set Variable [$Path; Value:Get(TemporaryPath) & GetAsText (GetField (GetLayoutObjectAttribute ("PDF1"; "source")))

Export Field Contents [PDF1; $Path; Automatically open]

{error capture off}

Cheers!

• 9. Re: Double clicking in container fields no longer opens files
                          MeatyMeats

Hi There,
                               Firstly thanks for the help to work around this! I solved this a little different, here are my script steps.

SetVariable [$Temp; Value:Get(TemporaryPath)]
                               SetVariable [$FileName; Value:GetContainerAttribute ( TableName::FieldName ; "filename")]
                               Export Field Contents [TableName::FieldName; "$Filename"; Automatically open]

ps please note I use the variable $Temp in order to set the path using the export field variable commands which uses the %TEMP% folder in windows.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
                               MeatyMeats