Summary

Downgrade database from Pro 12 to Pro10

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I have just migrated from Filemaker Pro 10 to 12. Unfortunately it seems to be significantly slower that version 10, to the point that users think, in some functions that the computer has frozen down.
      Is there a way to migrate a adatabase back from 12 to 10.
         Thanks!

• 1. Re: Downgrade database from Pro 12 to Pro10
          Steve Wright

Your best bet is to export the data from the V12 system into a format readable by 10 (csv / tab etc)
          Then import the data into the original V10 solution files before you converted to 12.

One of the reasons we are still running 11 was performance related, however the 12v2 update does appear to have solved a lot of the performance issues.  At least from my test's it is now closer to the performance of FM11 than it was on release.

Are you using 12v2 ?  If so, I would be interested to know if anything specific is behaving a lot slower, since I am considering moving forward with 12.

• 2. Re: Downgrade database from Pro 12 to Pro10
            alfredonm

Hi SWS, sorry for the delay in answering.....

I am using 12v2, and it is still painfully slow, so I have dowgraded to 10 which is the version I developoed the database with. I'll probably give a try to V11, but I'm not going back to 12....

Yes, I could use any of thecompatible file formats to go back to a previous version; the only issue is that most of my records were linked to figures in container fields. and ecporting containers is not supported by these file formats..... But I found another solution for this and downgraded anyway...

• 3. Re: Downgrade database from Pro 12 to Pro10
              philmodjunk

and ecporting containers is not supported by these file formats.

But you can use export field contents to export them as individual files that can then be imported or inserted back into container fields in the older version of your database file.

• 4. Re: Downgrade database from Pro 12 to Pro10

according to my experiences, the heaviest slow-downs in FM12 is caused by the new 'grafic formatting' model which now calculates 4 different states (normal, selected, on-mouse-over, click). Though 'open new window' now takes 4x as long as with FM11!

I use those script-steps in the 'open window' script at start and end:

• set Vars $start; Get (UTCmSec)]

…

• set Vars [$duration; (Get(UTCmSec) - $start)]

I have duration indicated then in layout with

<<$duration>>

The function Get(UTCmSec) is not documented as far as I know