Summary

Downloading files from FMS 13

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.8.5

Description of the issue

When downloading files of a solution from the server, the browser opens as many (untitled) windows as there are files in the solution to be downloaded.
      This makes for quite a lot of flickering with the popup windows for a solution with 22 files.

When all the windows are finally open, the Safari icon jumps on the screen 22 times.

The result is  22 zipped(!) files in my Downloads folder.

So before I can start working on the files, I need to unzip those 22 files.

Steps to reproduce the problem

In FMS 13 Admin Cosnole, close the files to be downloaded and close them.

Click the Folder icon, select Download Database.

Expected result

I expected to get a dialog (or similar) tat enables me to select a local folder.

And then the files would download to the selected folder. As normal FMP files.

Actual result

A set of zipped files in the local Downloads folder and a bunch of untitled windows in Safari.

Workaround

No workarounds, just chocked.

• 1. Re: Downloading files from FMS 13
          philmodjunk

I can suggest some possible work arounds to try.

Use the admin console to close the files then use your OS and network to manually copy the files from the folder to your computer across the network. You could also use the server to make a back up copy and then you can copy the back up files to your computer to work on them without having to close the open files on the server at all.

• 2. Re: Downloading files from FMS 13
            stefan_s

Hi PhilModjunk,

Well, and what's the use of this feature that I have come to love in 12 then?

In many cases it might be very difficult to get at the server's hard drive to copy those files.

The whole idea with the feature is that you don't need to access the actual hard drive of the server. In any companies, a developer will not get access to it very easily.

I have seen lots of web pages, where the download of a file has been very elegantly done. 

This present concoction needs urgent attention.

• 3. Re: Downloading files from FMS 13
              philmodjunk

I'm not suggesting that this isn't a bug, but you indicated that there is "no workaround". I'm simply suggesting a way that you might be able to use to move forward and do what you need to do while waiting for FileMaker to find and correct the bug.

The whole idea with the feature is that you don't need to access the actual hard drive of the server. In any companies, a developer will not get access to it very easily.

A good point, but you should be able to get access to backup copies--possibly from a separate drive to where a backup utility has copied them and thus not need to access the actual hard drive from which the file is being served.

• 4. Re: Downloading files from FMS 13
                TSGal

stefans:

Thank you for your posts.

There have been a lot of changes to the new Admin Console in FileMaker Server 13.  Although I have taken your posts and submitted a design change, I also recommend that you enter this information into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file that is hosted by Product Development and Management, and these entries are then reviewed and discussed by these departments for possible inclusion in a future release.  Although I could copy your posts and paste them into the web form, there are a few questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                     FiileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Downloading files from FMS 13
                  stefan_s

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for looking into this.

Yes, I do see the changes. I really love the new interface. 

I have now entered a feature request.

Stefan

• 6. Re: Downloading files from FMS 13
                    TSGal

stefans:

Our Testing department has confirmed the issue, and it has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Downloading files from FMS 13
                      stefan_s

TSGal: 

Thank you for confirming.

Stefan

• 8. Re: Downloading files from FMS 13
                        philmodjunk
                        An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.