Summary

Downloading the v13 update

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX 10.9.4

Description of the issue

I purchased the update when last Thursday.  I expected to get an email saying where to go to download the update.  Haven't as of yet.

How do I get the update?

• 1. Re: Downloading the v13 update
          GaryVogt

Question:  Where is a quick and easy place to look to create a new post?  Somehow I manage to stumble on "issue with FileMaker" every once in a while.  

Isn't there a button somewhere on the front page to ask a question?

• 2. Re: Downloading the v13 update
            Markus Schneider

If You did not get a download-link: You have to call the support (the mail is not in the spam-folder?)

• 3. Re: Downloading the v13 update
              Markus Schneider

@Gary Vogt: If You go to a specific forum by clicking on its title ('Name') - there is a 'frame' on the right side of the screen with a text 'New issue', 'Forum post', etc. It's not a button, it's just a text (link)

• 4. Re: Downloading the v13 update
                philmodjunk

And you have to be signed in. If you aren't signed in, those links do not appear.

And the forum software can log you out at any time without warning. This can even result in losing the last comment that you attempted to post as it can log you out while you are posting a comment. Protect yourself by copying your comment to the clipboard before posting. That way, if you get logged out and the comment is lost, you can log back in and paste to restore your missing comment.

• 5. Re: Downloading the v13 update
                  GaryVogt

Checked the spam.  I'll call support.

• 6. Re: Downloading the v13 update
                    GaryVogt

Got the Update to 13.0

Thanks for the help.

------

When I got v12.0, it would save under FMP12.  Then, when I opened it, it would open version 12 and not 11.  I tried saving under v13.0 and it saved it as a v12.  

QUESTION:  How do I get it to open only v13.0?

• 7. Re: Downloading the v13 update
                      philmodjunk

If by "v12" you mean that the file extension reads ".fmp12", this is normal for files created by FileMaker 13. The file extension changes only when the file format changes. Both versions 12 and 13 use the same file format and can open the same files (but features newly released in 13 don't work when the file is opened with FileMaker 12.)

As a historical note, versions 7 - 11 all saved with the .fp7 file format as they managed to avoid changing the file format for all 5 of these versions.

If, on the other hand, you are double clicking a .fmp12 file and FileMaker 12 is launching instead of FileMaker 13, you'll need to check your OS settings to change the default application specified for .fmp12 files.

• 8. Re: Downloading the v13 update
                        GaryVogt

OK, that makes sense.

How do I change the default setting?  I looked user FMPro-13 and didn't see anything.

Thanks

• 9. Re: Downloading the v13 update
                          philmodjunk

If you were using Windows 7, I could provide the steps. But your initial report shows that you are using a Mac so I must defer to others for the detailed answer to that question...

It is strange though that the installer did not automatically update this setting when you installed the new version.

• 10. Re: Downloading the v13 update
                            GaryVogt

Thanks Phil.  I'll try making a new post.

• 11. Re: Downloading the v13 update
                              Benjamin Fehr

How do I change the default setting?

I have only German OS. Anyway:

• click on any file with suffix .fmp12 and hit cmd / i (get Info)

• in the info window, see the 'open with' (Öffnen mit:) field to assign the Application that should open this file (FileMaker13)

• click on the option 'open all such files with selected App' for "change all" (alle ändern)

Up from then, double-clicking any file with suffix .fmp12 should prompt FM13 to start.

PS: clicking on the FileMaker12.app icon and cmd/i let's you copy-in another icon to make better visual differentiation between FMP 12 and FMP 13