Drag and Drop Function not working

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

advanced 12

Operating system version

window vista home premium

Description of the issue

The drag and drop function does not operate. I have tried highlighting the container box first. It looks as only the physical insert option is working: please confirm if this is a bug or if I am doing something incorrectly. The container field is from one of your start up options and all entries are correct.

Steps to reproduce the problem

All i need to do is to try and drag and drop the file. The file icon moves into the container but will not open when i double click on the icon when in the container box. I have referred to the knoweldge base but the three fixes detailed and including that I was to highlight the container field first did not solve the problem.

Expected result

The file should open when the mouse is placed over the icon and the left mouse key is depressed twice. I have inserted using the old method (off the file in the document screen) and then contianer field works

Actual result

as per above

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Workaround

I have not found one

• 1. Re: Drag and Drop Function not working
          philmodjunk

When you drag and drop a file into a container field, you insert a physical copy of the file. This is the same as using an Insert menu option with the "store a reference" check box left unchecked.

Files inserted into a container field without the "store a reference" option cannot be opened with a double click--they must be exported.

In FileMaker 11 on windows, drag and drop inserted an object via OLE (Object Linking and Embedding). And such objects could be opened with a double click.

OLE is not supported in FileMaker 12.

• 2. Re: Drag and Drop Function not working
            clivecurlewis

Sorry to trouble you. Please detail your referance "They must be exported" as I do not know from where you would like me to export the detail from and if I must use the insert table or the open another file for this detail to be downloaded. The operation of this function is not the same as what the video tutorial is showing and is there any possibility that we have an incompatibility issue between vista and filemaker? My steps are simple _ I pull the icon into the container field and have made sure that the inspector is set to PDF _ should I be directing the file to be saved in another storage file rather than external (layout function - container field - options - storage - 1) external  2) internal.

My understanding is that when opening a container and detailing the file in the inspector the referance is automatically loaded however I have also noted that we I open a new data base the screen is showing a full view of the form and not referancing me back to the full file either.

thanks for your help so far

• 3. Re: Drag and Drop Function not working
              clivecurlewis

I changed the file settings in the Inspector from PDF to photo's - the name of the file and the icon then indicated.

If I double clicked on the icon it did not open so I then changed the settings in the Container field to internal and transfered the files when the pop up showed. the trasnfer indicated green but read as follows

2012-06-19 17:33:49.898 +0200 Research Notes.fmp12 Container Data Transfer started.
              2012-06-19 17:33:49.920 +0200 Warning   [Record ID 2, field Notes::File | Container] Skipped non-transferrable data: File reference or text
              2012-06-19 17:33:49.932 +0200 Warning   [Record ID 3, field Notes::File | Container] Skipped non-transferrable data: File reference or text
              2012-06-19 17:33:49.977 +0200 Warning   [Record ID 5, field Notes::File | Container] Skipped non-transferrable data: File reference or text
              2012-06-19 17:33:50.233 +0200 Research Notes.fmp12 Transfer Summary: status: Completed; errors: 0; items transferred: 1; items skipped: 3.
              2012-06-19 17:33:50.260 +0200 Research Notes.fmp12 Container Data Transfer ended.

2012-06-19 17:38:10.125 +0200 Research Notes.fmp12 Container Data Transfer started.
              2012-06-19 17:38:10.159 +0200 Warning   [Record ID 2, field Notes::File | Container] Skipped non-transferrable data: File reference or text
              2012-06-19 17:38:10.175 +0200 Warning   [Record ID 3, field Notes::File | Container] Skipped non-transferrable data: File reference or text
              2012-06-19 17:38:10.219 +0200 Warning   [Record ID 5, field Notes::File | Container] Skipped non-transferrable data: File reference or text
              2012-06-19 17:38:10.418 +0200 Research Notes.fmp12 Transfer Summary: status: Completed; errors: 0; items transferred: 1; items skipped: 3.
              2012-06-19 17:38:10.450 +0200 Research Notes.fmp12 Container Data Transfer ended.

2012-06-19 17:39:18.080 +0200 Research Notes.fmp12 Container Data Transfer started.
              2012-06-19 17:39:18.099 +0200 Warning   [Record ID 2, field Notes::File | Container] Skipped non-transferrable data: File reference or text
              2012-06-19 17:39:18.114 +0200 Warning   [Record ID 3, field Notes::File | Container] Skipped non-transferrable data: File reference or text
              2012-06-19 17:39:18.159 +0200 Warning   [Record ID 5, field Notes::File | Container] Skipped non-transferrable data: File reference or text
              2012-06-19 17:39:18.416 +0200 Research Notes.fmp12 Transfer Summary: status: Completed; errors: 0; items transferred: 1; items skipped: 3.
              2012-06-19 17:39:18.448 +0200 Research Notes.fmp12 Container Data Transfer ended.

2012-06-19 18:20:09.412 +0200 New.fmp12 Container Data Transfer started.
              2012-06-19 18:20:09.731 +0200 New.fmp12 Transfer Summary: status: Completed; errors: 0; items transferred: 1; items skipped: 0.
              2012-06-19 18:20:09.754 +0200 New.fmp12 Container Data Transfer ended.

2012-06-19 20:59:36.506 +0200 container tests.fmp12 Container Data Transfer started.
              2012-06-19 20:59:36.523 +0200 Warning   [Record ID 2, field container tests::pics] Skipped non-transferrable data: File reference or text
              2012-06-19 20:59:36.699 +0200 container tests.fmp12 Transfer Summary: status: Completed; errors: 0; items transferred: 0; items skipped: 3.
              2012-06-19 20:59:36.722 +0200 container tests.fmp12 Container Data Transfer ended.

• 4. Re: Drag and Drop Function not working
                philmodjunk

Inserted pictures cannot be opened by double click even if  "store a reference" is specified. (Don't know why, but that's the way it always (not) worked.)

Put the cusor in the container field

Pull down the edit menu and select export field contents.

Select a location and name for your field

click the "open" checkbox so that the exported file opens when it is exported.

export the field contents.

This process can also be set up with a script such that clicking a button exports the file to the temporary items folder and opens it.

• 5. Re: Drag and Drop Function not working
                  clivecurlewis

Thanks for your help Phil. Filemaker need to review and give me an acceptable solution as this is not acceptable and defeats the reason why I am using the drag and drop function (filemaker can referance one note from Microsoft as an example). If this cannot be resolved then I need for filemaker to advise what they are going to do as the product does not do what they say it will do on the box. A great feature with the software saving the detail to a file but pointless if one cannot open it in a simple function.

regards

Clive

• 6. Re: Drag and Drop Function not working
                    james_quiggins

Hello Clive Curlewis:

Thank you for posting.

You can create the desired behavior by using FileMaker's automation functionality. Specifically the 'Export Field Contents' script step. 

See FileMaker Knowledge Base  Answer ID: 271 "How to Export The Contents Of A Container Field" 

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.

• 7. Re: Drag and Drop Function not working
                      clivecurlewis

Gentleman / Ladies

I am afraid that the programe does not do what it should do and in my opininion the filemaker demonstration data plus drag and drop feature does not do what is suggested. In the apple configuration the file opens when you dubble click on it or it shows the picture. In windows this does not occur so in short let me explain: if i want to insert a word as well as pdf files they will not open. I beleive that your system has a bug and none of the fixes suggested work when repition is involved. If I decide to keep records in your research list and I refer back to a container I have to export each time to open the file which is not good enough ~ my comparison is drawn on windows one note which allows one to drag and drop any file and then open with a double click. The video I looked at on your website when using an apple device would suggest the same as the windows one note operation.

In short who could I speak to at filemaker about a resolution regarding cost of the product (paid for) ~ return or discount. I think the product is very good but the above does not work as detailed on the box ~ a fix is required.

regards

Clive  

• 8. Re: Drag and Drop Function not working
                        clivecurlewis

The following contains some corrections: in file maker pro 12 the drag and drop function when using vista or windows 7 does the following. On dragging a file into a container field the icon will not open when one double clicks on the icon in a container if the drag and drop function is used - it will open if the insert function is used; the only method to open the file icon is by left clicking on icon and opening as export field. The file is then opened as a read only file so any changes made in the file will not be recorded. A script will be needed to automate the process if using filemaker 12 in windows: I do not know how this would impact if an IPOD is then used?

• 9. Re: Drag and Drop Function not working
                          philmodjunk

A slight correction:

The file is then opened as a read only file so any changes made in the file will not be recorded.

It's not read only, as you can make changes to the file. It's just that you've generated a new copy of the file by exporting it and thus you'd need to re-insert the exported copy to save any changes for the next FileMaker user to see...

another work around is to set up a system where you drag and drop a copy of the file into the container then a script automatically exports it to a designated folder and re-inserts it into a container field with the required "store as reference" option specified so that double clicking the re-inserted file opens it as you desire here.

And FileMaker 12 offers a third option for container fields--external storage. I haven't had the opportunity to play with that option--just started reading up on it--but I can't help wondering if that storage option makes drag and drop, then double click work...