11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 11:19 PM by Fred(CH)

drag drop pdf into interactive container setup as a button gives error.

schamblee

Summary

drag drop pdf into interactive container setup as a button gives error.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker Pro Advance 12.03

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

Drag and drop a PDF file into a interactive container, with the container field setup as a button will give an error.  The translator for this file format could not be found or could not be initialized.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create an interactive file and then setup as a button then drag and drop a pdf file into the container.

Expected result

The PDF to be insert without error message.

Actual result

Give error :
      The translator for this file format could not be found or could not be initialized.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

The translator for this file format could not be found or could not be initialized.

Workaround

Change button setup to do nothing. Remove as button.

• 1. Re: drag drop pdf into interactive container setup as a button gives error.
          Fred(CH)
          Hi S Chamblee, i can't reproduce the problem. If i define an interactive container as a button (for instance with the action Commit Record) and i drag a PDF file on it, it works fine on my Windows 7 system with my FMP 12.0v3 Advanced. If it is not a system configuration problem, what do you think about try a script trigger "on modifying" to perform your script instead the button format, i feel better. I don't know it will help you but i hope... But i am curious : what is doing your script behind the field ?
          • 2. Re: drag drop pdf into interactive container setup as a button gives error.

S Chamblee:

Thank you for the post.

I responded to your related post here:

FileMaker Pro

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: drag drop pdf into interactive container setup as a button gives error.
              schamblee

I reproduced the error on another computer with windows 7.   The problem happens when you drag and drop a pdf to an interactive container field setup as a button and the container field doesn't have focus.   Best way to reproduce is to create a app with 2 interactive container fields setup as buttons, then drag and drop the pdf on to the non highlighted container fields.  The highlighed / focused container works correctly the non- focused container does not.   I tested on a mac and it performs correctly.

• 4. Re: drag drop pdf into interactive container setup as a button gives error.

S Chamblee:

Thank you for the new information.

The field not being the highlighted / focused field on the layout was the missing step to replicate. I forwarded a full report to Testing and Development for review. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: drag drop pdf into interactive container setup as a button gives error.
                  philmodjunk

This report has been added to the Known Bugs List.

(Please read the guidelines in the first post of this list before posting any comments to it.)

• 6. Re: drag drop pdf into interactive container setup as a button gives error.
                    Fred(CH)
                    Hi Guys ! Sorry, but this behaviour seems really logical to me. Because you will receive the same error message if you drag and drop a file in a Text typed field or in a Number typed field  or in a Calculation etc...  all types except Container. So what's the deal ? When your container field is a button, and if the focus is on another field, the drag and drop don't change the focus. Why ? because your field is setted as a button ! More : as an Interactive Container Button !!! So for FMP, you are dragging the file on the text or on the number field that have the focus... But as i said previously, if you clear the button format and you trig the script with the On modify event, it will works perfectly. ;-)
                    • 7. Re: drag drop pdf into interactive container setup as a button gives error.
                      Fred(CH)
                      One more thing S Chamblee : you can super-fastly define an object script trigger if you press the CTRL key (Windows) or cmd key (Mac) during double-click on your field. ;-)
                      • 8. Re: drag drop pdf into interactive container setup as a button gives error.
                        philmodjunk

Two reasons to consider it a bug:

1) The behavior on windows and mac should be the same yet S Chamblee indicates:

I tested on a mac and it performs correctly.

2) While that error message is appropriate for trying to insert a file into an ordinary data field, it is not the correct error message for inserting a file into a container field.

I could see this not working due to the fact that the button format could prevent correct access into the container field, but if so, the behavior should be the same on both platforms and there should be a different error message displayed.

• 9. Re: drag drop pdf into interactive container setup as a button gives error.
                          Fred(CH)
                          PhilModJunk : OK, you have right, there is a little baby bug on it. In particular if your compare both platform. But i am not convinced, sorry. In my point of view, the bug is maybe another than you are meaning. I think the FMP bug, in this case, is rather to allow drag an drop on your button. I don't think it is really user-friendly : too strange ! I don't think other software allow that too. Moreover, you cannot use the Insert menu in this case. So why could you use the drag and drop ? Etc.. etc..  And now, just for my understanding : can you explain me what is the usage of a Interactive container setted as a button ? Because precisely, the objects that are defined like this don't allow you to browse on your PDF File or on your Video FiIe. Is it a workaround to correct another bug ? But... that's all...Here are discussions for geeks ;-) I think i gave the correct solution in my previous post. Bye. Fred.
                          • 10. Re: drag drop pdf into interactive container setup as a button gives error.
                            schamblee

It is a bug.  Your work around is not a work around.  I have already stated that if you disable the container as a button it will allow you to drag and drop the pdf.  The problem was posted by other users on the Filemaker forum, then I encounter the same problem. (I posted on that post) The Product Catalog starter solution is an example of it working correctly with pictures.  Same idea you have several smaller containers with a PDF that you have dragged and dropped into the containers.  The pdf can't be read in these smaller containers, so you would setup the container field as a button to open the pdf in a browser , another layout, or a larger container of the same layout. The very reason a script trigger on modify event will not work, because I want to view not modify the container.   

• 11. Re: drag drop pdf into interactive container setup as a button gives error.
                              Fred(CH)
                              Hi S Chamblee ! Ok, ok it is a bug anyways. But i want to return at the trigger point. You are saying that you want to view but not to modify the container. But in your initial post, you talked about a drag and drop. Aren't you expecting that your drag and drop modify the field ? Just to understand. Because If you turn off interactive option it is working and then, the field is modified too, right ? Excuse me for my bad english but if i understood correctly your goal, you want to drag and drop a file and then execute a script that open it or, in other cases, that active another layout to view the entire PDF, right ? If it is true, the On Modify trigger will allow that. The script trigged can, for instance, export the field content on the temporary folder and then, it can open your file. I linked a little example on a private message that i sent you. Sorry S Chamblee, i really tried to help... bye. Fred