11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 2:24 PM by philmodjunk

Drop Down from Invisible Field is Positioned too low on screen.

philmodjunk

Summary

Drop Down from Invisible Field is Positioned too low on screen.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v1

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

When a Drop down list is deployed from a field made invisible with the new "Hide When" property in the inspector, the drop down list deploys too low on the layout appearing disconnected from the invisible field's location.

I cheerfully admit that I may be using some of the new FileMaker 13 features in a non-standard way, but if this had worked it would have been a new and very nice way to hide an ID field's serial number or UUID when it has been formatted as a drop down list.

It's still a useful trick, but only in FileMaker GO where the issue is not visible do to the "value picker" being deployed at the bottom of the screen or in cases where you don't need the drop down list positioned less than 34 points from the top of the screen.

I discovered this issue when experimenting with an idea to hide the awful looking UUID code in an ID field at the top of a drop down list of names from a value list set up with UUID's in field 1 and Names in field 2. If I put True in the "Hide When" box in the inspector to keep a field always hidden, I can still format it as a drop down list (no arrow feature) and make the drop down list appear by using Go to Field in a script to deploy the drop down list.

This works, but as shown in the composite screen shot included in this report, the drop down list appears disconnected from the name field placed on top of the hidden ID field due to deploying much lower than expected on the screen.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Download the demo file or:

Define a table of look up values with an ID and and name field. Define a table with an fk ID field to serve as the drop down list field and link it in a reationship to the ID field in the look up table.
      Main::ID = LookUp::ID

Format Main::ID as a drop down list with Lookup::ID as field 1 and LookUp::ID as field 2. Select this field and enter True into the Hide When box in the inspector so that it is never visible in Browse mode.

Write and perform a script that uses Go to Object or Go to Field to put the cursor in the hidden field and deploy the drop down list. This can also be done in a PopOver. Place the Name Field from Lookup on top of the ID field or the PopOver button.

Expected result

That the drop down list would appear to extend down from the visible name field located on top of the ID field or on top of the pop over button.

Actual result

Drop down list appears disconnected from name field and pop over, appearing about 34 or so points too low on the screen.

Configuration information

The Pop over contains the same ID field also formatted with the same drop down list and with "Hide When" set to True. It was given an Object Name so go to object could be used to put the focus in this copy of the field instead of the other copy set up without a Popover on the same layout.

OnObjectEnter triggers are used to perform the scripts that put the focus in an ID field. A transparent Dummy field located on top of the name and ID fields on the left, with that trigger and the popover has also been set up with the same trigger but a different script.

The file may be downloaded from here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78737945/HiddenIDDropDownDemo.fmp12

Workaround

Both work just fine in FM GO on an iPhone where a picker will appear at the bottom of the screen no matter where the hidden field is located. The right hand popover version produces an interesting visual effect on the iPhone.

In FileMaker Pro, the left hand version can be made to work if you position the hidden field about 34 points higher on the screen than the visible name field and triggering Dummy field.

InvisibleIDFieldBug.png

• 1. Re: Drop Down from Invisible Field is Positioned too low on screen.
          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for your post.

I downloaded your file and I was able to replicate the issue.  This is what I noticed.

If I change the formatting of _fkLookUpID to not hide, then when I click on the field, the field expands to three lines to show the contents of the field, and then the value list deploys beneath that.  When I then set it back to Hide and execute the script, even though the field is hidden, the value list deploys in the same place as it takes into account the size of the field as if it did expand.  Therefore, if I extend the field to the right, the value list will then display a bit higher as if two lines are being displayed, and if I expand the layout and drag the field to a larger width, the value list will then display right beneath the field.

Can you confirm?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Drop Down from Invisible Field is Positioned too low on screen.
            philmodjunk

Yes, that's what is going on. And I don't have to expand the layout to make this work, I can extend the field right off the edge of the layout and it still works. Regrettably, this exchanges one problem for another a this now makes the drop down list ridiculously wide but it does move this from "bug" to "feature request" in my book. (We need the ability to specify different options for the width of drop down lists and pop up menus independent form the width of the field.)

I then thought to change the font size of the ID field so that I could make it narrower, but that changes the font size of the text in the drop down list so that also stymies my efforts to get a drop down list that conceals the UUID from view.

All in all, my simple name look up solution still looks like a better way to set up a drop down list.That solution avoids the issue by not formatting the ID field as a drop down list in the first place.

• 3. Re: Drop Down from Invisible Field is Positioned too low on screen.
              philmodjunk

Ok, just had a new brainstorm. The solution aint perfect, but it's better than the other options I've tried and avoids producing a super wide drop down list.

Instead of making the hidden field wider, make it taller. As long as you have room between the top of the window and your field to make it several rows tall, this can keep your field a reasonable width and still have the drop down list appear where you expect it to appear.

• 4. Re: Drop Down from Invisible Field is Positioned too low on screen.
                TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thanks for the confirmation.

This definitely will affect users developing solutions, so I have logged this as an issue.  Your file, along with our findings, have been sent to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Drop Down from Invisible Field is Positioned too low on screen.
                  philmodjunk

I would say that this is an issue with any field formatted with a drop down list. It's just more mysterious and bug like when the field is hidden. It's not a real problem with serial number ID as they aren't likely to be wider than the name field. It's just with the addition of UUID based primary keys that we now have ID fields that are much wider than their associated name/description fields.

• 6. Re: Drop Down from Invisible Field is Positioned too low on screen.
                    TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Whenever you have a field formatted as a drop-down list, the field will expand before the value list displays beneath it.  One field may expand to three lines, another to one line.  This would show a different placement of the value list for those two records.  The suggestion I included with my report was to not take into account the field expansion of a hidden field so the value list displays in the same position for every record.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Drop Down from Invisible Field is Positioned too low on screen.
                      philmodjunk

I am quite aware of the behavior. But I am suggesting that whether the field is visible or hidden, this is not desirable behavior as it can produce a drop down that has a laughably too wide value list when the ID field is a UUID. Hiding the ID field just makes it more of an issue as the reason for the behavior is not readily obvious.

My suggested Feature Request that I plan to make is that drop down lists match the unexpanded width of the field, or a specified width in the Inspector instead of the width and height created by the field expanding after it gets the focus.

• 8. Re: Drop Down from Invisible Field is Positioned too low on screen.
                        TSGal

PhilModJunk:

At this time, a value list will display below the expanded text field, whether it is hidden or not.  The workaround is to make the field taller in Layout Mode.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Drop Down from Invisible Field is Positioned too low on screen.
                          philmodjunk

I know that. I stated that myself earlier in this thread, but I am suggesting that future versions would be improved if this was not necessarily the case.

• 10. Re: Drop Down from Invisible Field is Positioned too low on screen.
                            TSGal

PhilModJunk:

At this point, it is not considered an issue.  Therefore, please enter this information into the Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database that is hosted by Product Management and Development, where each entry is then discussed and considered for a future release.  Although I could easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Drop Down from Invisible Field is Positioned too low on screen.
                              philmodjunk

It is a pity that something which results in a drop down list looking clunky and unprofessional, whether or not the field is visible is not seen ans an issue to correct.