Summary

drop out does not show contents

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Lion (latest edition )

Description of the issue

table 1 "Enquiries " has a field "Product codes ID " ; table 2 same DB has field with same name "Product codes ID "
      the 2 tables are related thru this field ;a drop box menu was created using Format field;
      when in browse mode I cannot enter anything in the field "product codes Id " ; the arrow is there but impossible to enter anything; for other files of the table "enquiries " I used Value Tables with drop down menu and it works but my "product codes IDs" entries are too many to be re copied in a values list.
      This for yr help

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Workaround

none other tan use a values table instead of the related field

• 1. Re: drop out does not show contents
          TSGal

serge vinograd:

Thank you for your post.

What occurs when you try to enter data into "Product codes ID"?  Do you get an error message?  Is there an audible beep?  You mention a "drop box menu", but you don't mention how this is a factor.  Is the Value List based on the entries in the field?  Can you provide an example to help me understand the issue?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: drop out does not show contents
            sergevinograd

when I click on the field "Product codes ID" in my Enquiry table (expecting to see the values of the same field in the table "Products ") ,

nothing happens, no error message, and the field does not accept any input.

While for another field of the Enquiry table named "Product Family", I made a avalues list, with a drop menu and when I enter the field the drop menu shows rthe Product Family (such as "Plates",Bars ","Tubes " Sheets etc..)

As said before my Enquiry table is reelated to a "products " table that has a field "Products Codes Ids ".

While the number of Products Family is limited (may be 10 ) and therefore does not take much time to create a list , each Family can have 200 Product codes and it would take a long time to enter into a value list.

Thanks for your help

• 3. Re: drop out does not show contents
              sergevinograd

see database we try to create

• 4. Re: drop out does not show contents
                TSGal

serge vinograd:

Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send your file.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: drop out does not show contents
                  TSGal

serge vinograd:

I received your file.  Thank you.

In the first layout, the field formatted as a drop-down field does not have any value list assigned to it.  Therefore, there is nothing to drop-down.  Go into Layout Mode, select the field, go to the Inspector, select the Data tab, and you will see the field is formatted for Drop-down list, but there is no Value list associated to it.  Change this to the proper Value List, and you should be fine.

In the second issue, I do not see the Client Code field from the "enquiries" table displayed on any layout.  Please let me know which layout has this field so I can look into this further.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.