3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2009 8:03 AM by ralvy

Dropdown Menus and Edit Dialog

ralvy

Summary

Dropdown Menus and Edit Dialog

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro Advanced 9.0v3, FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v2Operating System(s) involved:Windows XP SP 3.Detailed description of the issue:Some dropdown fields (not all) will fail to show the "Edit ..."  option when activated under FMPA 9. The same field, when activated under FMPA 10, will show the "Edit ..." option when activated, but when the "Edit ..." option is chosen, the cursor disappears. In such a case the list is editable, but you're running blind as to where the point of text insertion is. You have to start typing to determine it. The cursor returns after closing the "Edit ..." dialog. Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.  Create a database2.  Create a text field with a dropdown menu that allows the "Edit ..." option, and assign a Value List to it. 3.  In Browse Mode, enter that field and activate the dropdown. Expected Result: Dropdown menu menu should appear with the "Edit ..." option. If the "Edit ..." option is chosen, I should see a cursor for text insertion. Actual Result:With some such fields (not all), under FMPA 9, the "Edit ..." is not there. With the same such fields under FMPA 10, the "Edit ..." option is there, but presents no cursor for text insertion when that option is chosen.Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:N/AAny additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:1.  This problem can't be reproduced with all dropdown fields. Only certain dropdown fields. But when a dropdown field is found that has this problem, it is consistent and always reproducible. I don't yet see the pattern that produces it reliably. If you can't reproduce this problem, let me know and I'll work harder to determine the pattern that produces it.Any workarounds that you have found:Use PopUp fields instead.

• 1. Re: Dropdown Menus and Edit Dialog
          TSGal

ralvy:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to duplicate the problem.  This is what I have done:

1. Launched FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v2 on Windows.

2. I created a file, Test.fp7 with a few fields.  One text field is named "Drop Down".

3. I went into Layout Mode, double-clicked "Drop Down" field, and created a new Value List named "Static Values" with the following four values:

John

Paul

George

Ringo

4. I selected the option "Include "Edit..." item to allow editing of value text".

5. I went into Browse mode and entered ten records.  In each of the ten records, I was able to edit the field "Drop Down" and the cursor was present.

6. I quit FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v2 and launched FileMaker Pro Advanced 9.0v3.

7. I opened Test.fp7.

8. I entered another ten records, and each time I was able to edit the field "Drop Down" and the cursor was always present.

9. I then created a new database file, Test1.fp7 (using FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced) and created a nearly identical setup as Test.fp7.

10. I entered 10 records, and each time I was able to select the Edit value with the cursor being present.

11. I quit FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced and opened Test1.fp7 with FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced.

12. I entered another 10 records, and each time I was able to select the Edit value with the cursor being present.

This was all performed on a Dell Dimension running Windows XP SP3.

If possible, I would like to see your file or a clone of your file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Dropdown Menus and Edit Dialog
            TSGal

ralvy:

I received your file, and I was able to duplicate the problem.  What I didn't do in my previous example was click "Edit..." when a value was already entered.  This is where the problem lies.  It works correctly under Mac.

I have reported this issue to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  I will keep you informed as more information becomes available.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Dropdown Menus and Edit Dialog
              ralvy
                 It wasn't until after I got your message that I finally found the pattern. Thanks for the support, as usual.