Summary

Duplicate button created by Ctrl Drag cannot be ungrouped

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

If you duplicate a button by ctrl dragging the original, the option to ungroup it (which removes the button settings by deleting the invisibile button object that is grouped with the visible object(s)), is greyed out and unavailable.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Enter layout mode.
      Hold down the control key and drag a button to make a copy.
      With the copied button selected, try to ungroup it.

Expected result

That you can remove the button settings by ungrouping the button.

Actual result

You cannot ungroup it.

Workaround

Duplicate the button by copy/pasting it.

• 1. Re: Duplicate button created by Ctrl Drag cannot be ungrouped

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the post.

I am unable to reproduce the issue. To attempt to reproduce, I performed the follow actions:

1. New Database with a single field.

2. Created a button grouped with a text object to run a script.

3. In layout mode, used control drag to copy the button.

4. With copied button selected: right-click > Arrange > Ungroup

Am I missing something to reproduce? Perhaps, to reproduce requires a specific group of object types?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Duplicate button created by Ctrl Drag cannot be ungrouped
            philmodjunk

Interesting. This is much more subtle than I thought. ctrl drag has nothing to do with it. I can reproduce the issue with copy and paste. In fact, duplicating the button is not required. I can get this to happen with the original button. And it doesn't have to be a button, just grouped.

Here's what I had to do to reproduce:

Drag the grouped objects past the right hand edge of the layout. Release the mouse, drag the group back. Or leave the group outside of the layout boundaries. DON'T right click the group, try ungrouping from the Arrange menu or the inspector. If you right click the group, not only is ungroup available in the arrange sub menu, but when you release the mouse button and check, ungroup has now become available from the other two sources of this option. Saving your layout changes corrects the issue. Selecting a different object and then selecting it again fixes the issue.

So this happens with a vary specific set of steps and even the slightest variation will keep you from reproducing the issue.

This issue is a much bigger problem when working with layouts for the iPhone as you are then much more likely to be dragging groups of objects outside the layout boundaries while you edit the layout.

• 3. Re: Duplicate button created by Ctrl Drag cannot be ungrouped
              Fred(CH)

Hi,

Excuse me if i misunderstood, but Phil's expected behavior is only valid with FMP v11 and prior converted file's buttons.

I think that a brand new v12 button can never be ungrouped.

What am i missing ?

Bye, Fred

• 4. Re: Duplicate button created by Ctrl Drag cannot be ungrouped
                philmodjunk

Fred, I'm using brand new, never converted files for this.

All buttons are actually grouped objects where you group the visible object with an invisible "button" object that contains the button setup options you select for the button. When you ungroup a button, the invisible button object is deleted, but the visible object--which could be nearly any layout object, a field, a block of layout text, a graphic image.... remains but no longer functions as a button unless you use button setup to once again group the object with a new invisible button object. When you use the button tool to add a button, the same process happens, but FIleMaker saves you a step by automatically opening button setup for you.

In my original case, I had a field and it's layout object grouped to become a button so that it could be tapped on the screen to perform a script. That was three objects, the text label, the field and the invisible button object grouped to form a button. I encountered the issue when I then decided to make the field label a button that performed a script to sort the records and the leave the field as the button to perform the original script. When I went to ungroup them, I couldn't.

• 5. Re: Duplicate button created by Ctrl Drag cannot be ungrouped

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the assistance in narrowing this down.

I am now able to reproduce with a new file. The key to replication was to first drag the grouped objects passed the layout boundary on the right. Afterwards, simply click the Inspector's Appearance tab and then click back to the Position tab. The ungroup button now appears greyed out in the Inspector. 

The issue appears to be Windows specific. I can replicate with FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 on Windows 7, but I was not able to replicate on Mac OS X 10.7.5.

I forwarded a full report to Testing and Development for review. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Duplicate button created by Ctrl Drag cannot be ungrouped
                    Fred(CH)

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your patience and further explainations : i didn't understood that your button were not created with the button tool.

More, i never realized that the ungroup action could be used to remove button's definition when only one object was visible. Thanks again !

However, on FileMaker 12 versions, the button tool is no longer working like you are saying above. New buttons are "real" button objects, that cannot be ungrouped. That is the main reason why i misunderstood your original post.

Bye, Fred

• 7. Re: Duplicate button created by Ctrl Drag cannot be ungrouped
                      philmodjunk

Thanks Fred. I hadn't noticed this (to me) unfortunate behavior change. Makes no sense to me that Buttons created by the button tool should be handled any differently than any other object set up as a button. That just makes for one more "special case" to keep track of... frown

• 8. Re: Duplicate button created by Ctrl Drag cannot be ungrouped
                        philmodjunk

And I've now added a link to this report in my own Known Bugs List...