1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 12:52 PM by TSGal

Duplicated portal field with new field definition totally disappears from portal AND layout

doncarp

Summary

Duplicated portal field with new field definition totally disappears from portal AND layout

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

OSX  10.10

Description of the issue

Duplicating a field from a created portal and assigning a new field exhibits very odd behavior. It appears normally but offset from the first field at first. Then when moved to a new location TOTALLY WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF THE PORTAL ROW AND MOVED TO FRONT JUST TO BE SAFE the field disappears from the portal AND FROM THE LAYOUT COMPLETELY.  This happens to fields added by duplication of existing fields and fields created new on the portal row in layout mode. I used this method of portal field duplication in FM12 with no problem. It would appear to be some glitch with the programable "show" property.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create portal with two fields
      select entire portal and assign show property
      show entire portal when global variable = (show value)
      duplicate one of the fields and assign a new field to it
      move it to a new location within the portal row limits

Expected result

should remain viewable

Actual result

first the field ID disappears and the select boundary remains viewable
      when clicking off the field, the boundary box disappears as well from the portal and from the layout.

Workaround

would I could !!!!!

• 1. Re: Duplicated portal field with new field definition totally disappears from portal AND layout
          TSGal

Don Carpenter:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created two tables, Master and Portal, with each table containing a Number field named ID.

2. Additional fields were added to both tables, and the tables are linked in the Relationships graph by ID.

3. In the Master layout, I created a Portal into "Portal" showing a couple of fields (P1 and P2).

4. In Browse, the information displays in "Portal".

5. Back to Layout mode, I selected the P2 field in the portal, duplicated it, and changed it to P3.  I then placed P3 to the right of P2 (using arrow keys) and still within the portal.

6. In Browse Mode, all three fields display in the portal.

Are you dragging the fields into the portal, or are you using the Position values in the Inspector.  If you use the latter, this places the field in a specific location, but it does not necessarily mean it becomes part of the portal.  Once you get the position, press the up arrow once and the down arrow once to make sure it now belongs to the portal.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.