Duplicates of Portal Information

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v4

Operating system version

Windows 7 Pro

Description of the issue

I created a portal for the sole purpose of tracking additional shipments and associated information that go out under the client's name. I'm finding that one shipment will show up between two clients even though I've only put it under one client. Deleting the shipping information in one client will delete the shipping information in the other client.
      It doesn't duplicate the information for all the inputs I make, it's random on who it happens to and it's always between two clients, not between three or four, etc.
      Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
          TSGal

Derrick Santos:

Thank you for your post.

What is the key field used to link the two tables together?  Is it possible the key field in the client table is not unique?  That is, can two clients have the same key field?  This would account for the same portal record being linked to two client records.

Any other information you can provide may help narrow down the possible cause(s).

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
            derricksantos

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure I completely understand the proper vocabulary for FM, but I've uploaded a screenshot of how the two tables are linked. Hope this will initiate a better understanding.

• 3. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
              TSGal

Derrick Santos:

No screen shot is displayed.

Go into Manage Database, and click on the Relationships tab.  You will see the two tables linked together.  Midway between the two linked tables is an icon.  Double-click the icon, and an "Edit Relationship" window appears.  Here you will see the key field from one table on the left side, and the matching key field on the right side.  Actually, if you take a screen shot of the Edit Relationship window and attach it to your next post, this should give me a better understanding and how to proceed next.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
                philmodjunk

Note that images uploaded to this forum must be of one of the file types listed next to the upload an image controls beneath Post a new Answer, JPG, GIF or PNG. If you upload a different file type, such as a PDF, the forum software seems to accept the upload but no image appears in your post.

• 5. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
                  derricksantos

Hope this works, I tried to upload a *.tif file last time. This one's a *.jpg.

• 6. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
                    TSGal

Derrick Santos:

Thank you for the screen shot.

Since ITEM ID MATCHFIELD appears in both tables, go to one of the Other Shipments records that is appearing in two Contact Management records.  Write down the ITEM ID MATCHFIELD contents, switch to the Contact Management table and search for that same value in the ITEM ID MATCHFIELD.  If only one record is found, then let me know what is the ITEM ID MATCHFIELD of the record that is not found but is linked.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
                      derricksantos

All the fields listed under Other Shipments table will duplicate for the two contacts found in the Contact Management.

I reviewed the contents of the ITEM ID MATCHFIELD for both tables and it looks like all the tabs are the same except for the Auto-Enter tab. The Other Shipments has a "calculated value" while the Contact Mangement doesn't.

Is this the information you're looking for?

• 8. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
                        TSGal

Derrick Santos:

I'm looking for the contents of the fields.  That is, go to the record in the Other Shipments table that is appearing for two different Contacts, and write down the contents.  Then, perform a find in the Contacts table for that value.  Do one or two records display?

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
                          derricksantos

There are two records displaying, but it's not for all contacts. Some contacts will have the correct information and not have any Other Shipment duplication and some will have a duplicate with another contact. Deleting the record for a shipment in one contact also deletes the other record in the other contact.

• 10. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
                            TSGal

Derrick Santos:

If two records are found, then you have two ID's with the same value.  Change the ID of the record you don't want showing, and you should be fine.  If this is happening with other records, then make also make the changes to those records.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
                              derricksantos

I'm not familiar with how to change ID's. Are you able to guide me? For any two contacts with duplicating information found in the Other Shipments portal, every field in the Other Shipments is duplicated.

• 12. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
                                TSGal

Derrick Santos:

Go into Layout mode and using the Field tool, drag the ID field onto the layout.  Return to Browse mode, and change the value in the ID field.

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
                                  derricksantos

Great thanks! How can I be sure or how can I check what the next available ID number is such that it doesn't conflict with an existing one?

Never mind, I figured it out.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

• 14. Re: Duplicates of Portal Information
                                    derricksantos

I did a Find to show contacts with an ID number and sorted it in ascending order to show duplicates.

I've found that changing the ID number in one contact will also change the ID number in the other contact  AND it deletes the information stored in all the fields belonging to the Other Shipments Table.

What do I need to do to be able to make a static change on the ID number without it dynamically updating/changing the other information?

1 2 3 Previous Next