Summary

Dymo printer settings do not transfer to FMP 12

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7 64-bit

Description of the issue

Upgrading from FMP 9 to FMP 12 has completely messed up Dymo label printing. Probably never tested. Support for Dymo is extremely shabby as only 4 templates are listed and the  popular 30572 is missing. FMP continues its tradition of very poor printer support (cannot change printers in scripts).

• 1. Re: Dymo printer settings do not transfer to FMP 12
          KennethMcCormick

FileMaker, Inc. has produced a rather useful printing troubleshooting guide here.

If following that article does not resolve your issue, the problem is likely related to that specific printing device, in which case you would want to contact the manufacturer for a resolution. Dymo's support page can be found here.

• 2. Re: Dymo printer settings do not transfer to FMP 12
            Pecos

FIXES

1. I adjusted Layout Setup to get each Dymo label to print correctly. Took a while, but got faster as I got better at it.

2. In FMP 9 on Windows 7 64-bit I had to interrupt a script and manually change printers.

BUT...something new!! The Print  function was updated (don't know in which version) to specify particular printer.

FMP9:  Print [Restore; No dialog]

FMP12:  Print [Restore:DYMO LabelWriter; No dialog]

So I now use Print Setup to specify portrait or landscape followed by Print to print to a specific printer. If FileMaker is on multiple computers connected to different printers, Get(HostName) could be used to direct to the right printer.

3. In light of this (undocumented?) improvement in FMP 12, I am sorry about my  previous 'poor printer support' remark.