Edit a relationship by shortcut

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.1 Adv

Operating system version

Win 7 64 bit

Description of the issue

Edit a relationship by using "Ctrl+O" when one relationship is selected does not work as proposed here:

http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/keys_win.27.18.html#1028909

Steps to reproduce the problem

Using the keys "Ctrl+O" does not open the dialog window where the relationship is defined (on Windows; on a Mac this works)

Expected result

Using the keys "Ctrl+O" opens the dialog window where the relationship is defined

Actual result

Using the keys "Ctrl+O" does not open the dialog window where the relationship is defined (on Windows; on a Mac this works)

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n.a.

Configuration information

Windows 7 64 bit, FM Pro Adv in the version 12.0v1 (03-15-12)

Workaround

to doubleklick on the line connecting the 2 table occurances

• 1. Re: Edit a relationship by shortcut
          ThomasBauer

"Ctrl+O" in Browse Mode opens the dialog for File > Open.

So this key combination works in that context (but not when defining relationships)

• 2. Re: Edit a relationship by shortcut
            TSGal

Thomas Bauer:

Thank you for your posts.

I am unable to replicate the problem with Windows 7 (and Windows XP SP3).  After selecting a table in the Relationships tab of Manage Database, pressing control-O brings up Specify Table dialog box allowing me to choose a table to include in the graph.

Do you have any plug-ins installed?  What other applications are running?  Any possible changes to the system that includes keyboard shortcuts?  Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down why control-O is not working for you.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Edit a relationship by shortcut
              philmodjunk

TSGal,

What happens when you click a relationship line and then press Ctrl-O? Do you get the relationship details dialog to open?

I always double click to open, but the keyboard shortcut opens up the relationship details dialog in FMP 11...

• 4. Re: Edit a relationship by shortcut
                iDEViate

CMD + O in mac works in 12 on 10.8 to open the relationship details.

Wow, I never knew that was there.. I always double-click. 

• 5. Re: Edit a relationship by shortcut
                  philmodjunk

Hmm, finally got my download and tested this in w7. ctrl-O opens the relationship dialog for me...

• 6. Re: Edit a relationship by shortcut
                    ThomasBauer
                    I was able to to narrow down that described bug:
                    when you are using "Tools" > Custom Menus > Standard FileMaker Menus
                    Crt & O works as desired/expected/described
                    when you are using "Tools" > Custom Menus > Custom Menu Set 1
                    Crt & O is without any effect.
                    Tested with several FM Files (on my Win 7 64 bit desktop AND with a new Lenovo Win 7 64 bit laptop with only a limited number of programs) even in one file that comes along as starter solution: As far as I can see, the Custom Menu Set was not modified by attributing Ctr & O to an other command (and as said: Ctr. & O in browse mode works as desired (= file > open)
                    It is only a minor bug, but I would be happy if it could be sorted out
                    • 7. Re: Edit a relationship by shortcut
                      TSGal

Thomas Bauer:

Thank you for the additional information.  I can replicate the problem with any Custom Menu on Windows XP.  Under Mac OS X, the issue does not occur.

I have sent your posts along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I will keep you posted as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Edit a relationship by shortcut
                        ThomasBauer

Dear TSGal

I am sorry to inform you that the above described bug is still unresolved in 12.0v2

I would appreciate it very much, if you could ask your colleagues from the development to solve that problem.

With kind regards

Thomas

• 9. Re: Edit a relationship by shortcut
                          ThomasBauer

Dear TSGal

this bug is sorted out by 12.0v3

Thanks

Thomas

• 10. Re: Edit a relationship by shortcut
                            ThomasBauer

Dear FileMaker Team

I am sorry to inform you that the above described bug seems to be a Zombie 

In 13.0v1 it re-appeared (using customs menue sets; with standard menue sets: all fine)

I would appreciate it very much, if you could ask your colleagues from the development to solve that problem.

With kind regards

Thomas

• 11. Re: Edit a relationship by shortcut
                              TSGal

Thomas Bauer:

This is to verify that this issue has not been fixed in FileMaker Pro 13.0v1.  I have opened an additional report for FileMaker Pro 13.

Until this is addressed, continue double-clicking the relationship to edit it.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Edit a relationship by shortcut
                                TSGal

ThomasBauer:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.