8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2008 11:43 AM by anderzg

Editing/adding a relationship causes program to terminate

anderzg

Summary

Editing/adding a relationship causes program to terminate

Description of the issue

We have a fairly large database with 7100 plus records, 6566 fields, 408 relationships, two dependent databases holding information for relationships, and about 90 different forms. When we define a new field beyond the 6566 and then define or edit a relationship, the program terminates immediately. Our main database is about 100 MB and the databases are on a server with 40 GB free disk space. We are currently using the Pro 6 version with five (5) user codes. We need to add about 300 more fields and 50 relationships. Any assistance with this problem would be most appreciated.

• 1. Re: Editing/adding a relationship causes program to terminate
          TSGal

anderzg:

Thank you for your post.

We are in a dilemma here...  It's difficult to determine what is the problem without seeing the file, but seeing the file is going to be difficult.

There is no limit to the number of records and fields one can create in a file.  You are limited by the file size limitation.  It's been a while since I've worked with FileMaker Pro 6, but I do remember that the file size limitation was 2GB, and this limit was raised to 8 Terabytes in FileMaker Pro 7.  Still, your file is 100MB so the point is moot.

Have you worked with a clone of the file?  If so, are you able to add fields and/or modify relationships?

I haven't encountered a database file with 6566 fields in one table.  What type of application needs that many fields in one table?  Can any of the fields be offset to another table?

Other than that, FileMaker Pro is seeing something in the table it doesn't like.  Again, it is difficult to determine without seeing the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Editing/adding a relationship causes program to terminate
            anderzg

Thank you for your response.

I did try adding fields to the clone copy and had the same results, i.e., the program terminates when I attempt to add/edit a relationship.

We are using the program to quote/print contracts for burglary, fire, video, and access control systems that we install.

• 3. Re: Editing/adding a relationship causes program to terminate
              TSGal

anderzg:

I feel helpless, because we're now at the stage where someone needs to look at the file.  In particular, our Testing department wants to see the file.  Is it possible to put the clone on CD and send it to us?

If so, I have sent you a private message with a contact in Technical Support who would receive the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Editing/adding a relationship causes program to terminate
                anderzg
                   Thank you for your interest in this problem. There are aspects of this database that could be moved to another database and then use relationships to put it into the main database similar to what we are currently doing with our parts pricing, standby current and alarm current fields. We have been working on this quoting/pricing database for eight years and will contact you via email concerning whether or not the owner/president wants to send you a copy of the database structure.
                • 5. Re: Editing/adding a relationship causes program to terminate
                  rmanook

Hi anderzg,

As another test you can also try the following:

-Export your data (.csv, .txt, etc)

-Drag the exported file into Filemaker so that it converts the exported file into a generic FileMaker database

-Try adding new fields 

Since the behavior still exists in a clone, we can assume the issue is still attached to that particular database/layouts. Creating a generic FileMaker database with the same data can help narrow down the issue.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc 

• 6. Re: Editing/adding a relationship causes program to terminate
                    anderzg

I was not able to export the data to a tab delimited file - when I asked the program to move all fields, one field (the last one) was in the destination set multiple times (>100). When I tried to clear the repeated field, the program terminated.

We would like to send you a copy of the cloned database, but I either did not receive your private message or I do not know how to retrieve it. (I am new to this forum and may not understand how things work). 

Do you think a newer version (server version) would solve this, or would it just be propagated when it reads the data file?

Thank you for taking the time to assist us with this problem.

• 7. Re: Editing/adding a relationship causes program to terminate
                      TSGal

anderzg:

First, I edited your message and removed the reference to your email address.  We are very committed to privacy on this public forum, and we do not want users to copy personal information.

Second, I saw your recent private message and confirmation of where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.