7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 11:30 AM by TSGal

Email Campaign Management

samjs

Summary

Email Campaign Management

Description of the issue

I am using the "Email Campaign Management" template that came with Filemaker, and I'm having problems sending out my email to a group.  When sending to the selected recipients, It opens the "Apple Mail" program and creates a new email message for each person.  My problems is that the loop on the script does not end.  It continues to create email messages in "Mail" until I force quit Filemaker.  I get the same result when recipients from a group.   One thing I just noticed is that this problem appears only with contact data that I have import into "Email Campaign Management".  When I did the import, I selected "Perform Auto Enter Options".  I have had the same problem with an earlier version of "Email Campaign".  I have tried it with Filemaker 8.5, 9 and 10 with no success.   Thanks for your help. 

• 1. Re: Email Campaign Management
          TSGal

Samjs:

Thank you for your post.

What script are you calling to send emails.  I only see the "Send Email" script under Contacts -> Actions.  This only sends one email using the field "Contacts::Email Address with Name".  If there is no email address, then you should get a dialog message.

Any additional information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Email Campaign Management
            samjs

I am using the "send" button under the campaign.

UPDATE

Since I imported my data, I doubled checked to make sure it added an ID number to the field "k_ID_Contact".  It indeed added a number in that field when I did the import.  To make sure, I did a "replace" with a new ID number on all of my contacts.

Now when I email my campaign, it emails only 10 out of 18 recipients.  The 11th email is blank.

What am I doing wrong?

• 3. Re: Email Campaign Management
              TSGal

Samjs:

Thanks for the additional information.  I'm assuming you mean the "send" button on the Layout.  That is calling the Send Campaign script.

The only loop I see in the Send Campaign script that involves Send Mail is towards the bottom.  The loop exits when the field "g_Contact List_Temp" in the Campaign table is empty, so it sounds like this field is never becoming empty.  Can you verify?  When you force stop the script, what value is in this field?

If the 11th record is blank, then make sure the 11th record has an email address.

Please continue to keep me updated with your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Email Campaign Management
                samjs

TSGal,

All my recipents have an email address, and it still sends out email to only 12 of the 19 receipents.  

Another strange piece to the puzzle is  when I create my recipents, I have it add a "group" to the list.  It only adds 19 to the recipents list out of 21 people.  All the people have email addresses.

If it would help, I can email you my file.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sam

• 5. Re: Email Campaign Management
                  TSGal

Samjs:

Thanks for the additional information.

If only 12 of the 19 recipients are being sent emails, what is happening to the other 7?  Are they in the Out box?  Are they in the Drafts box?  Where are these 7 going?

If all 19 recipients are making it into g_Context_List_Temp field, can you verify that all 19 emails are being created?

I'm not sure what you mean by "group".

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Email Campaign Management
                    FMNewby

I am encountering the same (or very similar) problem reported by Samjs.  I am using the FM9 Starter Solution called Email Campaign Management.

The problem occurs when a pre-determined "group" is selected as the set from which the campaign obtains recipients.  Specifically, a group that contains 430 members (confirmed in the layout "GroupsContacts Utility") results in only 329 contacts (confirmed in the "CampaignContacts Utility") for the campaign recipients when the script "Add Campaigns_Contacts records" (Parameter: "group") is used.

Can you confirm that the script steps in "Add Campaigns_Contacts records" are correct?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Email Campaign Management
                      TSGal

FMNewby:

Thank you for your post.

The script steps look fine.  Do you have email addresses for everyone?  Do you have any invalid email addresses?  Anything specific about the record that follows the 329th email address (spaces, returns, etc.)?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.