Summary

Email PDF Missing Data

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

Mac OSX 10.9.1

Description of the issue

I'm trying to email of report of record from an iPhone 5S and only one line of data shows up. I read this from the Knowledge Base dated 4/2013 and am wondering if anything has been done to alleviate this:

Emailing a FileMaker Go 1.1 generated PDF leads to missing data
      When emailing a PDF generated in FileMaker Go, why is my PDF blank without any data?
      Answer ID: 7782 Last Updated: Apr 10, 2013 12:54 PM PDT

My script is attached as a screenshot

Screen_Shot_2014-02-15_at_11.04.43_AM.png

• 1. Re: Email PDF Missing Data
          TSGal

Brad Kinne:

Thank you for your post.

Knowledge Base Article #7782 only applies to FileMaker Go 1.1, as this was fixed in FileMaker Go 1.2 (and later updated to FileMaker Go 12).

First, is "Weekly Log.pdf" being created?  If so, open the file to make sure there is data included.  If so, then change the Set Variable step to:

Set Variable [ $PDFPath ; Value: "file:" & Get ( DocumentsPath ) & $FileName ]

That is, include "file:" prior to "Get ( DocumentsPath)".

Let me know if you still continue to have difficulty.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Email PDF Missing Data
            beacon10

I changed the other line but which file is open: the database file or the Weekly Log.pd file? If the data file and not the database file, how do you open it? The database is already open.

• 3. Re: Email PDF Missing Data
              TSGal

Brad Kinne:

Sorry for the confusion.

To see if "Weekly Log.pdf" file is created, tap the close window icon in the upper left corner.  Tap "Home" to bring you to the home screen.  Next tap "Device" in either the left panel (iPad) or at the bottom (iPhone/iPod touch).  Below the FileMaker databases should be a PDF section that includes the "Weekly Log.pdf" file.  If so, tap the PDF file and it will open.  Make sure the contents are correct.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Email PDF Missing Data
                beacon10

This is interesting. When I first found the file "Weekly Log.pdf" file on my iPhone, the data was intact. This was from before I changed the code with the line with Set Variable. I sent the updated database to my phone again and tried it again (with the new code). The "Weekly Log.pdf" file is still there but there was only one line of data. Here's the code for the script to email:

• 5. Re: Email PDF Missing Data
                  TSGal

Brad Kinne:

The above script looks fine.

Try removing the PDF file from the device.  Then, in the script, insert the script step "Halt Script" after the "Save Records as PDF".  Next, run the script on the iPhone so the PDF file is created.  When the script completes, open the PDF file as described above and make sure you can scroll across all records.  If still only one record is found, return to the file and see how many records are being browsed since you have an active Find and Sort.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Email PDF Missing Data
                    beacon10

I just tried that and the pdf on the phone shows the data but only listing one thing per day when there are at least six items per day. I removed the Halt Script and tried to send it through. STILL only the first line of records. Attached is the latest copy from email of the pdf.

• 7. Re: Email PDF Missing Data
                      TSGal

Brad Kinne:

Since the PDF file is being created, we can focus on the first half of the script.

Can you verify the "Results 2" layout is the correct layout?

Create a button on that form that executes the script step "Save Records as PDF" with the options to Perform without dialog, specify the file as "Test.pdf", and specify the option "Records being browsed".  Then, in FileMaker Go, go to that layout and click the button.  When finished, open Test.pdf.  Does this work?

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Email PDF Missing Data
                        beacon10

I put a button on both the Results (listing) layout as you described and the "Test.pdf" was created and had everything there.

The pdf function appears to work. The problem must be in emailing. What's next?

• 9. Re: Email PDF Missing Data
                          TSGal

Brad Kinne:

It is not the Send Mail step, as you mentioned earlier that the PDF file was created but only showing one line of data when there should be six.  Since the creation of the PDF file via the button is correct, let's assume the creation of the PDF file in the script is damaged.  Therefore, return to your script and remove the step "Save Records as PDF".  Then, add a new "Save Records as PDF" script step with all the same information you had previously.  Save the script and run it.

If this still fails, check to see if you have multiple "Results 2" layouts, as the script may be accessing an unintended layout.  That is, a layout that didn't have the button on it.

Continue to keep me updated.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Email PDF Missing Data
                            CamelCase

Maybe "Enter Find Mode" before the Set Field/Perform Find will help...

• 11. Re: Email PDF Missing Data
                              beacon10

That seems to have done the trick. It appears to be saving all the data as a pdf and emailing it. I specified the target name of the pdf file rather than setting as a variable. Thank you very much for all your help. I really appreciate it as I am trying to become more proficient at Filemaker. What an incredible program!