email script doesn't work (entourage )

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

v11.0 v3

Operating system version

Mac 10.5.8

Description of the issue

I have several scripts for emailing data set up in my database. They worked before the V3 update on both entourage and Mac Mail. I installed the update on two computers, now the Pro advanced computer using Entourage does not send the email to Entourage. The update works on my filemaker pro using mail.

On the entourage computer it seems to exit the script at the email command as actions scripted after do not occur.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a workaround/fix?

Why should a update to fix a express issue then make entourage not work?

Steps to reproduce the problem

create script to email from filemaker

Expected result

Filemaker sends email to entourage

Actual result

script exits without sending email

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message

• 1. Re: email script doesn't work (entourage )
          TSGal

Reuben Pollock:

Thank you for your post.

It took me some time, but I was able to find a machine with Microsoft Entourage, and I am able to replicate the problem.  With FileMaker Pro 11.0v2, the message is sent, while after the updater was installed, neither a message was sent nor was there a draft message.

I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Product Management departments for further review and confirmation.  I will keep you posted as information becomes available.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: email script doesn't work (entourage )
            TSGal

Reuben Pollock:

I was able to get this working on my machine with Microsoft Entourage 2008.  I realized on the other machine that there was no Account set up, so no draft message was sent.  If an account is created, then the message was sent.

I'm assuming this doesn't apply in your case, since you are actively using Microsoft Entourage.

What version of Microsoft Entourage are you using (2008 or 2004)?

Any other information you can provide to help me replicate the problem would be appreciated.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: email script doesn't work (entourage )
              zinny

Hi,

I am using Entourage 2004 for Mac version 11.4.0. I upgraded it just before and that has not helped. I can't think of anymore information that would help, nothing has changed in the scripting or account settings

• 4. Re: email script doesn't work (entourage )
                TSGal

Reuben Pollock:

Thank you for the additional information.

A couple of other users of Entourage 2004 have called into our Technical Support department and reported the same issue with Entourage 2004.  Our Testing department has confirmed the issue and sent the information to Development for further review.  No other information is available.

Until this is changed, the only workaround is returning to FileMaker Pro 11.0v2.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: email script doesn't work (entourage )
                  calsan

I have more information to add, I hope this helps.

Having same problem across all our macs, with various new and old versions of Filemaker.

We have Filmaker Server 11.0.2.217 running from a 10.6.6 server mac mini.

Client computers are running:

FM Pro 10 Advanced and Entourage 2008 and Mac 10.6.6

FM Pro 11 and Entourage 2004 and Mac 10.6.6

FM Pro 8 Advanced and Entourage 2004 and Mac 10.6.6

FM Pro 8.5 Advanced and Entourage 2004 and Mac 10.5.8

Six computers with FM Pro 8.5 and Entourage 2004 running either Mac 10.5.8 and 10.6.6

All of them no longer send by Entourage - this was working previously.

All of them can be 'fixed' by changing to Mail - however this is not a solution for us.

Given that non of the clients work, we guess it's the server at fault????? Undecided

[PS: The server's admin console was recently 'busted' by the java update bug, however that's now fixed by the patch.]

• 6. Re: email script doesn't work (entourage )
                    philmodjunk

Hmmm,

This is the only configuration that "fits" the issue discussed in this thread:

FM Pro 11 and Entourage 2004 and Mac 10.6.6

Wouldn't expect installs of FMP 8, 8.5 and 10 to be affected by an update of FileMaker 11--but stranger things have happened.

• 7. Re: email script doesn't work (entourage )
                      Allan

I am using FMP 11 Advanced, and Entourage 2008 12.2.8 and OS X 10.6.6 with no problems.

Well, one small one - if I send to a group, Entourage doesn't resolve the group name as it used to. Sending to email addresses, including sending to a series of addresses separated by semicolons, works as always.

FWIW, I have Mail installed as well for use on another account, and FMP properly directs SEND MAIL script steps to Entourage.

• 8. Re: email script doesn't work (entourage )
                        calsan

Update on our progress with addressing this bug:  Undecided

All the v8 and 8.5 were fixed by removing trailing carriage returns from the script - see "Send Mail" and Outlook 2011 MAC and scroll down to the comment on Feb 17 by JohnTheSquirrel.

FM Pro 11 and Entourage 2004 and Mac 10.6.6: This was configuration fixed by reinstalling filemaker 11 and then NOT installing the 11.3 update and turning off automatic updates.

FM Pro 10 Advanced and Entourage 2008 and Mac 10.6.6 - tried updating this computer to MS office 2011 in the hope this would work.  It didn't.  Will try buying FM11 advanced.

• 9. Re: email script doesn't work (entourage )
                          Eric

It appears this issue has still not been resolved over 1 year later.  Version 11.0v4 still has the problem - inability to Send Mail using Entourage 2004 for Mac as the email client.  Is there any update on this problem?  Is it ever going to be resolved?  Since it worked fine in 11.0v2 can't the solution be found there and incorporated into a new update?

• 10. Re: email script doesn't work (entourage )
                            user15307

Eric,

Thank you for posting.  

The problem still exists. Once Testing has verified an issue, it is sent to Development Department, so I have forwarded your post to Development.

No additional information is available.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: email script doesn't work (entourage )
                              lanclos

I would use an applescript to send mail to entourage from filemaker in 10.6.x - Applescript and lion acts up