Summary

Email script step → files damaged error dialog

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4

Operating system version

Description of the issue

2 different files have an email script step. No email is created when they run. The script debugger doesn't show any errors. One of the files shows a dialog box that files are damaged or missing.

These scripts had been working perfectly until yesterday.

Steps to reproduce the problem

run the script

Expected result

create email message

Actual result

script completes without creating email message

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

see screenshot

Workaround

I removed and reinstalled FileMaker Pro.

I also followed the steps here, rebooted and resinstalled:
      http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/6bd9b2f046

2012-03-06_12-05-15.png

• 1. Re: Email script step → files damaged error dialog
          philmodjunk

What options did you specify in the Send Mail dialog?

Email Client or SMTP?

What email client program do you have installed on your machine? Have you checked to see if it is compatible with FileMaker?

• 2. Re: Email script step → files damaged error dialog
            user15307

denno,

To followup on the comment of PhilModJunk, some additional details will be helpful:

Are you able to get mail to send manually --- by pulling down File > Send > Mail… and select either your default mail client or use SMTP settings directly?

If either method results in the error message, which one is it?

Are other methods of sending mail from this machine successful?

If you are using a client in your script, what email client are you using?

If you are using SMTP, what settings are being used?

Thank you,

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Email script step → files damaged error dialog
              denno

1. Email client is Outlook for Mac 2011 v14.1.4. It's been working fine since yesterday.

2. Manual Send>Mail via email client results in the same error message.

3. The script step is set to email client

• 4. Re: Email script step → files damaged error dialog
                user15307

denno,

Thank you for the additional information.

Since you get the same message sending mail manually, the problem doesn't appear to be with the script, but something that has changed in the FileMaker installation, solution, or the computer itself.

Is it possible for you to test this solution on another computer?

Have you had the opportunity to try sending mail using SMTP?  If so, and that is also failing, another uninstall and reinstall of FileMaker would be a good next step (presuming you aren't having any other issues sending mail from this computer).

Please keep me posted on your progress.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Email script step → files damaged error dialog
                  denno

I tried a different database that also has a send mail script step; that resulted in the same error (supports what you said about it being a FM problem.)

The databases are running on FM Server. Someone else using the same database has no problems with sending mail.

I am able to send via SMTP.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled twice. Are there system-level files I need to delete after uninstall?

• 6. Re: Email script step → files damaged error dialog
                    user15307

denno,

The issue, then, is restricted to a single computer?  Or is there more than one computer having this problem?  If it is on that one computer, and there was no problem sending previously, can you identify anything that may have changed there?  Apple or Microsoft Updates?  Other software installation? It seems to me that you have narrowed it down to a single machine's OS or software. 

Please let me know if you can send mail from that machine's Outlook client without any problem.  Would it be possible to set up another user on the same computer and a dummy mail account to test as well?

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Email script step → files damaged error dialog
                      philmodjunk

If this is one problem machine, I wonder if trashing Filemaker and/or Outlook preferences might help. (Don't actually delete them, drag them out of the preferences folder and see if it makes a difference. That gives you the option of dragging them back if that makes things worse.)

I'd also double check your FileMaker updates to make sure that you really have the 11v4 update. If, by any chance you have 11v2 or older, you can't use Ms Outlook as the v3 update added that capability.

• 8. Re: Email script step → files damaged error dialog
                        denno

deleting the prefs fixed it--thanks!!Laughing

• 9. Re: Email script step → files damaged error dialog
                          eric324

I wasted lots of time reinstalling stuff, then getting and installing FM12. After searching this forum I found out in another post for Mac email you go to Mail > Preferences and under the General tab make sure you specify the correct email client. Google Mail hijacked my preference. When I set it back to Mac Mail 5.2, the script worked like a charm.