Email won't go to my 'draft' folder in Mail

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v2

Operating system version

OSX 10.8

Description of the issue

Email won't go to my 'draft' folder in Mail .... when I send an email (from the file menu), the email sends immediately instead of going to my ''drafts' folder in mail. This is the case even when my email script preference (Perform without dialog) is left UN-checked. I know that when you select this option by 'checking' it ... the email should send immediately, but I want to review my email before it goes out.

In FMP 11, filemaker would send the email to my 'draft' folder, open Mail, then I could check it out and send it if I wanted to. This is how the program is supposed to work, but FMP 12 doesn't on my system.

Ideas???

• 1. Re: Email won't go to my 'draft' folder in Mail

Kelly Bryarly:

I created a new database in FileMaker Pro 11 and an identical database in FileMaker Pro 12. I tested both on Mac OS X 10.8.1.

When sending from the File menu the emails send directly. When sending from a script with the email script preference “Perform without dialogue” unchecked, the mail client opens a window with the email. I am able to review it, and if I close the window without sending, I am prompted to save. If I save, then the email goes to my drafts folder.

This behavior is identical in both FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Pro 12.

I am using Mac Mail version 6.0. Are you also using Mac Mail or different mail client?

TSFalcon
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Email won't go to my 'draft' folder in Mail
            KellyBryarly

Hello! Your response helped me in that I was not aware that I had to write a 'send email' script and use it instead of just sending from the file menu. I wrote a script and it works just fine! Thank you!!! Is there some way to get the 'file menu send' to have the same behaviour?

Kelly

• 3. Re: Email won't go to my 'draft' folder in Mail
              philmodjunk

For what purpose do you want the emails to be saved in Drafts?

Would it work to save your emails as records in your database? Perhaps with a status field that records whether or not the email has been sent yet?

This would be fairly easy to set up if that sounds useful to you.

• 4. Re: Email won't go to my 'draft' folder in Mail
                KellyBryarly

Hello Phil, 

Yes, that would be awesome. I don't really need to send the email into my 'drafts' folder. I just want to be able to review and check my email before it gets sent out. I am new to filemaker and am trying to sort this out. Thak you for your response!

Kelly

• 5. Re: Email won't go to my 'draft' folder in Mail
                  philmodjunk

Hmmm, before we get complicated, can't you "review and check" your email simply by checking it in the send mail dialog before you click "send"?

The alternative method I am thinking of requires setting up tables, fields and scripts for use with such an email system.

• 6. Re: Email won't go to my 'draft' folder in Mail
                    KellyBryarly

Yes, if it doesn't just immediately send. When I send from the 'file menu' it sends immediately with no way to verify it.

I made a 'send email' script and it works fine because I have not checked the “Perform without dialogue” option. But, it will only send to one address at a time and I don't know how to include a command to send to the 'found set' when I want to send the same email to several people. If I could get the file menu 'send' to act as if I have not checked the “Perform without dialogue” that would be great...but I am out of my league.

• 7. Re: Email won't go to my 'draft' folder in Mail
                      philmodjunk

When I send from the 'file menu' it sends immediately with no way to verify it.

I don't quite get that. Before you click send, it should all be open on your screen for inspection and any needed editing. Select Send | Email from the fiel menu and get the Send Mail dialog where you can set up the email and review the contents of it. Then click send to send it.

Scripts that send email use exactly the same send mail dialog so you have exactly the same option to send and email to "multiple emails--one for each record in found set" that you do when sending email from the File menu.

• 8. Re: Email won't go to my 'draft' folder in Mail
                        KellyBryarly

Hi Phil,

That is exactly what I expect it SHOULD do... but... that is why I posted the question... because when I select 'send email' from the file menu, it does NOT open my apple 'Mail' and let me revierw the contents... it just whisks away without me being able to check it first.  Incidently, FMP 11 did not do this to me. It acted as one would expect.