2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2009 10:32 AM by PointInSpace

Enabling SSL on FMNet connections on FMSA10 on OS X causes intermittent server failures

PointInSpace

Summary

Enabling SSL on FMNet connections on FMSA10 on OS X causes intermittent server failures

Description of the issue

This is a longstanding bug that we've been seeing since at least FMSA9.  If we use secure connections on FileMaker Network Sharing connections with FMSA10 on OS X, we experience intermittent server failures.  FileMaker Product(s) involved: FileMaker Server 10 Advanced Operating System(s) involvedOS X Server 10.4Detailed description of the issue If we use secure connections on FileMaker Network Sharing connections with FMSA10 on OS X, we experience intermittent server failures.  Every couple days to multiple times a day the failures occur.  When they happen, the following occurs: - IWP connections return "Forbidden You do not have authorization to access this server." message in browser.- "FM Web Publishing    -    -    wpc1  Error: 403"  error is reported in pe_application_log.txt- XML connections return a 956 error- FileMaker Admin gui tool does not connect.- fmsadmin command line tool does continue to work- At least in 9, new FileMaker Network connections fail (not sure in 10) Exact steps to reproduce the issueEnable secure connections on FileMaker Network Sharing Expected ResultDoesn't fail Actual ResultOccasionally fails Exact text of any error message(s) that appearedSee above Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issueThis has always happened consistently on all of our FMSA9 and FMSA10 installations, requiring us to disable SSL on FMNet connections Any workarounds that you have foundRestarting server clears the problem, but then it occurs again  I have reported this bug in the past, but I never received any replies and it's never been addressed.  Obviously, it is a big deal.  I have a feeling it is related to particular database files or clients or something, as it seems to have a threshold that under a certain number of files on the server work OK.   However, it's not definite specific databases, as (as stated) we've seen this happen on numerous installations with different unique files on each.

• 1. Re: Enabling SSL on FMNet connections on FMSA10 on OS X causes intermittent server failures
          TSGal

JohnMay:

Thank you for your post.

First, these are the type of problems that cause us headaches because we cannot reproduce the problem in house, and the problem can't be reproduced by you on a consistent basis and/or by performing specific steps.

Second, do you remember when you originally reported this?  I'm having difficulty trying to find some instance of this behavior.

In any case, I have forwarded this information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  Knowing from past experience, they will ask me for your log files, so I have sent you a private message (top of this screen - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send those files.

If you have any other information that you think is pertinent, please let me know, and I'll add it to the case.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Enabling SSL on FMNet connections on FMSA10 on OS X causes intermittent server failures
            PointInSpace

I originally reported a number of years ago via the Report Problems web form that used to exist on the FileMaker site.  I also posted to a number of listservs, and I do know at least a few people were also experiencing the same problem.

I do not have logs from any actual occurrences anymore at this point (they have expired from our backups).  However, I have listed the applicable errors that are thrown when the issue occurs.  I cannot reenable the SSL option on our production servers at this point unless you have a definitive testing/tracking procedure to try to do at the time of a failure (other than just tracking the log files) that will lead to a solution.

- John