Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v3

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

Container field and an image of type EPS:
      Insert image, no reference: image is displayed OK.
      Insert image with reference: image is NOT displayed.

Using external storage for the container field:
      Insert image, no reference: message that image type is invalid and image is NOT displayed. Image displayed as file.
      Insert image with reference, image is NOT displayed.

EPS images were always displayed in FileMaker 11.0.

Steps to reproduce the problem

See above.

Expected result

See above.

Actual result

See above.

Configuration information

Windows 7 Professional

• 1. Re: EPS images not displayed

RolfC:

Thank you for the post.

Are you using a regular or interactive container field in FileMaker Pro 12?

To attempt to replicate this, I started with a new database in FileMaker Pro 11 on Windows 7. The database file contained a single container field. I created a new record and first tried the "Insert Picture" option, storing only as a reference. This produced the error in the screen shot below. I then tried a new record, using the drag and drop method, I placed a file in the container field. Same error in the screenshot below.

Next, I converted the database file using FileMaker Pro 12. Using drag and drop to place the file in the regular container field also throws the error in the screen shot below. Testing the "Insert Picture" option and store as reference, l saw no change in behavior. 

I added a second container field to the file. This time my container was interactive. I performed the same tests above with the same results.  

Windows 7 behavior with EPS images seems consistent in my testing from FileMaker Pro 11 to FileMaker Pro 12. 

The EPS image does display when I tested drag and drop on Mac OS X into either a regular or interactive container field. The image also displays when imbedded on Mac OS X; however, when inserted as a reference the image does not display. 

I forwarded the results of my testing and a full report to Testing and Development for additional feedback.   

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: EPS images not displayed
            rolfclausson

I did 2 files for you, one for FileMaker 11 and one for FileMaker 12. I have one container field and two buttons/scripts, press the buttons to insert the image. Attached also find 2 EPS images.

Both buttons inserts an EPS image with FileMaker 11.0v3 and Windows, only one of the buttons will insert the EPS image in FileMaker 12.0v3 for Windows. On OSX the images will not be displayed in FileMaker 11 but displays OK in FileMaker 12.

I use no interactive fields.

• 3. Re: EPS images not displayed

RolfC:

Thank you for the offer to send example files.

Please check your inbox at the top of this page for instructions on how to submit the file for testing.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: EPS images not displayed

RolfC:

Thank you for the files.

With the files you provided, I can confirm exactly what you reported:

1. These EPS images when inserted as a reference in FileMaker Pro 11.0v3 on Windows 7 will display in a container field.

2. These EPS images when inserted as a reference in FileMaker Pro 12.0v3 on Windows 7 do not display in a container field (non-interactive). 

I submitted the test files and a full report to Testing and Development for review.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: EPS images not displayed
                  philmodjunk

Can you guys tell me if this is the case for all EPS files or only certain files? If only certain files, is there any way to tell which files won't display?

• 6. Re: EPS images not displayed
                    rolfclausson

I have not found any EPS image which will be displayed when importing by reference in FileMaker 12.

• 7. Re: EPS images not displayed
                      philmodjunk

Mac systems have had trouble with certain EPS files through several versions(10 and 11 at least).

For More Information see:     FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

I haven't heard whether FileMaker 12 on Mac systems can now display EPS images or if it has the same problem. Given the fact that this is WIndows and applies to all EPS images, I'll write this one up as a separate Bug Report. But it will only list WIndows unless someone can confirm that it's also a problem on Mac systems.

• 8. Re: EPS images not displayed
                        pelledge_1

Filemaker 12 fixed displaying EPS files with transparency as reference files.

I have a FMP12 database built for a customer with over 100,000 records and each record has from 1 to 9 images displayed by reference.

They all show up fine. The only problem I am having is with the GetThumbnail function and it returns a ? in the container when used.

If I insert the exact same EPS file directly into the container instead of by reference then GetThumbnail works fine.

I have tried this with 6,327 EPS files multiple times.  I have resorted to inserting the EPS files directly from their stored pathname and then using the GetThumbnail in order to reduce the size of the selected images for a Mobile App in Filemaker GO.

I would upload more test files to you, but your upload does not allow EPS files.

• 9. Re: EPS images not displayed
                          pelledge_1

I emailed you the 3 images again but 1 per email in case your mail server corrupted them before.

• 10. Re: EPS images not displayed
                            TSGal

pelledge:

Just a confirmation that I received all three files, and they have been sent to our Testing department for review.  I'll continue to keep you posted.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.