erroneously deletes multiple records

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.ov3

Operating system version

Window XP

Description of the issue

When I've found duplicate records, I go to the one with the least info and tell FileMaker to delete it.  Sometimes it asks about whether I want to delete only the related record or the master file.  Since I'm in the master file, I've said master file.  I then discover that it has deleted most of the records in my file.  Another time, it looked like it deleted two records instead of one, but at least twice, it deletes a LOT more.  Today, I had 80 records when I started.  I created dozens of new ones.  I now have 19 records.  Not at any time did I tell FileMaker to delete more than one record.  Yes, I'm really ticked off!

Steps to reproduce the problem

Explained above.

Expected result

I expected to delete one duplicate record.

Actual result

It looks like FileMaker actually deleted all of the work I did today, plus a whole lot more.  (80 records plus a few dozen new ones created, and now I have 19 records.)

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message.

Workaround

I'm going back to version 3.  It doesn't have the new features, but it doesn't delete my work.

• 1. Re: erroneously deletes multiple records
          philmodjunk

Take a look at your relationships and see if the "delete" option has been enabled. The most common cause of seeing multiple records deleted when you delete just one record is that you have this option specified in one or more relationships. This can result in a "cascading delete" that can indeed delete most of the records in your database or just a few like you describe here.

To check this, open manage | database | Relationships and double click each relationship line. Look for cases where the "Delete related records in this table when a record is deleted in the other table" check box has been selected.

• 2. Re: erroneously deletes multiple records
            tamethyst

OMG...this is a lifesaver!  I was having very horrible experiences with deleting multiple similar records.  Thank you!  I hope this solves all of the issues!